WAATBA!!!

(what are all these bloody abbreviations) ... can anyone help a word blind idiot?

I really enjoy reading the posts on this newsgroup, and often learn something new... but sometimes the enjoyment is spoiled by an acronym that I can't decipher. Some are easy, SWMBO, IMHO, but others (RTBM) just drive me mad (mainly because they are probably so obvious) Has anyone (or does anyone want to) put together a list for idiots like me?

Poor Puzzled Peter

Reply to
peter.grimwood

I would support this request. But to ease current madness I believe that RTBM is a milder form of the more popular RTFM which stands for 'Read the F**** Manual'

Reply to
Alister Nicholls

Ermm...

SWMBO - single white male bothering ostriches IMHO - I must hold on (usually used by model engineers after the third attempt at a complex machined casting has been assigned to the scrap bin and high levels of stress are anticipated)

I think the rest are smiley's, i.e.

;-) just joking (rotate through 90 degrees clockwise to get a winking face)

;-)) just joking a lot

;-)) c=8 Can anyone explain this one to me? I think it's rude

In message , Alister Nicholls writes

Reply to
Martin Akehurst

AFAIK As Far As I Know BCNU Be seeing you BTW By The Way FAQ Frequently Asked Questions FWIW For What It's Worth FYI For Your Information HTH Hope That Helps IMHO In My Humble Opinion LMAO Laughing My Ass Off OBO Or Best Offer ROTFL Rolling On The Floor Laughing ROTFLMAO Rolling On The Floor Laughing My Ass Off RTFM Read The F*cking Manual TNSTAAFL There's No Such Thing As A Free Lunch TTFN Ta Ta For Now TTYL Talk To You Later YMMV Your Milage May Vary

I think the complete list is on

don't think you will remember all of these. 8^)

-- Dave Croft Warrington England

Dave Croft

The best list of these abbreviations in one place that I know of is

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Many thanks to all who replied ... all is now clear!

No longer puzzled Peter

Reply to
peter.grimwood

erm... FYI,,, SWMBO = She Who Must Be Obeyed... :-)

Cidron

Reply to
Cidron

You missed the Yank's favourite - SNAFU - So Now its All F*cked Up

speedy

Reply to
speedy2

I believe it's: "System Normal - All F*cked Up".

There's also FUBAR - "F*cked Up Beyond All Recognition".

-- Wally

Things are always clearer in the cold, post-upload light.

Reply to
Wally

Situation Normal, All F*cked Up

Peter

Peter A Forbes

You are all wrong. It's "situation normal, all f*cked up".

Steve in Canada.

Reply to
Udie

Ah. I work with computers, so 'system' tends to be the first thing I think of. :-)