Tool post Setscews

Hi Everyone, Does anyone know where I can obtain the square headed setscrews that hold your tool into the tool post also what is the correct name for them. Regards Rotty

Reply to
Rotty

Hi Everyone, Does anyone know where I can obtain the square headed setscrews that hold your tool into the tool post also what is the correct name for them. Regards Rotty

Reply to
Rotty

Hi Everyone, Does anyone know where I can obtain the square headed setscrews that hold your tool into the tool post also what is the correct name for them. Regards Rotty

Reply to
Rotty

"Dog Point with Shoulder?Square Head" Also known as collar screws and tool post screws, these set screws have a shoulder below the square head that allows the screw to draw the installed item down without the head digging into the surface. Use them to clamp tool holders onto lathe tool posts and other machine tools. Made of heat-treated alloy steel with black oxide finish. Head is polished. The shoulder supports your wrench. Rockwell hardness is C48-52 for the 3/8"-16 through 1/2"-13 screws; C38-42 for the 5/8"-11 and 3/4"-10 screws. Head wd. and height are the same as the screw diameter. Length is measured from under the shoulder to end of tip. Threaded to neck of shoulder."

See page 2896, here:

They're the flash type, Standard square head set screws will do, as long as you get the dog point type or if all else fails, grind the points of what is available.

No idea where you you will get them in the UK, though.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

I've got some spare in M10, they ain't cheap & I had to buy a box of

200. They come up on ebay now & then.

HTH Tim Dutton Dry-Dock Traditional & Modern canal craft repairs Vintage diesel engine service

Reply to
Tim Leech

I think our local nut & bolt place had some of they a few years back, which thread size are you looking for? I can ask tomorrow.

I believe Unbrako made these as part of their non cap-head range, and we may have some Whit or BSF new ones in the pile of cap-head stuff we bought a few years back.

Peter

Peter A Forbes