Water pump

Hi,
I know this isn't quite a engineering question but it does seem vaguely related. I need a high volume 12V DC water pump. It has to be cheap and
fairly small (it has to fit into a cylinder 9inches diameter). Any ideas?
Thanks Michael
Add pictures here
✖
Sounds like you need a trip to the local scrap yard to find some windscreen washer pumps -possibly higher capacity if there are headlight washers as well.
Regards
Kevin

Add pictures here
✖
the only one i can think of is here
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/catalogue/product_detail.asp?PCODE ÜP9001&GRP=MCP068&PGRP=MC009&CLS=MCYCLE&from=search
or
http://tinyurl.com/6bzme
and it's not cheap
all the best.mark
Add pictures here
✖

Look for bilge pumps on Ebay.
HTH
Mark Rand RTFM
Add pictures here
✖
Himszy,
Try Halfords (or other motor accessory shop) on the windscreen washer shelf. They have a selection at not a fortune.
Mike
--
Mike Whittome

Add pictures here
✖

Thanks, how much water do these things shift?
Add pictures here
✖
google them. windscreen washer pumps...very little ...1 ltr a min. bilge pumps ...........5 ltrs a min and up.. and that pump i put the link to the results are there below it on the website. all the best...mark
Add pictures here
✖

More questions -
1. What space have you got to play with? 2. Is weight an issue? 3. What power is available to drive the pump? 4. Could you use stored CO2 rather than a pump?
And a statement -
I think a windscreen washer pump shifts a lot more than 1L an hour. They are pretty standard for fuelling model planes and it only took a few minutes to move 2-300mL of fuel.
Steve
Good luck
Steve
Add pictures here
✖

Can you quantify " high volume" .
a windscreen washer pumps at 1 l/min..
Water circulation pumps for car engines pump about 30 l/min...
The last pump I specified was a small industrial job at 100 l/min...
The biggest sump pump that could fit in your cylinder pumps about 1000 l/min...
What is your application, flow rate and pressure required ?
--
Jonathan

Barnes's theorem; for every foolproof device
✖
The group is unsure what sort application you want the pump for but you may find a windscreen washer pump isn't suitable for continuous operation.
Add pictures here
✖
Himszy wrote:

vaguely
and
ideas?
Try your local yacht/ ship/boat dealer. I picked up a 12v 800g.p.h. bilge pump. is 70mm dia x 100 mmlong with a outlet stub about 30 mm long. Use it as a suds pump, have to restrict the flow!!!
Regards Maurice
Add pictures here
✖
Go to your local Caravan accessory dealer - Have a look at the submersible water supply pumps. They are generally an impeller pump. Last ones I played with managed quite an impressive head (pressure) and flow rate. And relatively cheap too.
An example at: http://www.wildday.co.uk/productslist.aspx?DepartmentId=6&selection=9&categoryID (&productGroupID(6 Watch the word wrap, otherwise www.wildday.co.uk go caravanning on the side bar, then scroll down to water carriers, Aqua rolls and go to water pumps.
What's it for? Remote underwater vehicle?
Cheers,     Jon
Himszy wrote:

Add pictures here
✖

Some answers: The pump has to be able to pump well over 350LPH and run on a 12v 7ah Sealed Lead Acid Battery. It will be used for propulsion for a r/c submarine
Thanks for the answers, I decided i'm now going to get a 4500LPH 12V bilge pump.
Add pictures here
✖

ideas?
Sealed
TRY A MARINE SHOP AND ASK ABOUT BILGE-PUMPS (sorry caps lock) boaters use them and they are quite cheep
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 12:40:04 GMT, "Himszy"

How long do you expect a 7AH SLA battery to last? We used to use the 7AH but went up to the 10AH and now the 12AH in almost the same package size.
4500 litres an hour is 989 gallons per hour or 16.48 gallons a minute or 2 pints a second, that's a pretty high flow rate, and you'd be lucky to find a pump that will give you any amount of running time from 7AH. Might be better to go to 24V and get better rates, but it is possibly a case of ever decreasing returns.
Peter -- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Luton, UK snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk http://www.prepair.co.uk
Add pictures here
✖