"Wei Yii Colt" -- Myford clone ?

I saw a Chinese-made lathe today with a nameplate that says "Colt", apparently made by a company called "Wei Yii". It looks a lot like a Myford - possibly an early ML10. The seller claims the Chinese (Taiwanese ?) maker bought the tooling from Myford and produced legitimate copies. The Owners' Manual says the Colt was made in

7"x20" and long-bed 7"x30" versions. This lathe is fairly rusty and probably more than ten years old, but looks to be in good shape.

Any information on this clone and its quality would be appreciated. Do Myford accessories fit this clone ?

Reply to
Nait

There was a myford ml7 clone around 10-15 years ago. Presumably legit as it was advertised in ME and or EIM for quite sometime. I think the word White was part of the name might even been whitecolt? Painted white IIRC

No idea if the myford bits fitted and possibly being a taiwanese knock off, there could be a lot less configuration control in the manufacturing processes.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I seem to remember Myford sued the importer and knocked it on the head. Apparently the Chinese had just dismantled a Myford and used the parts as casting patterns to make a copy. You can guess at the quality.

-Neil F.

Reply to
neil f