Weld or use coupler?

I'm going to lengthen the 1/4 inch diameter shaft by 80mm. It's 11mm long at the moment.

I can use brass coupling, or the 1/4" extention shaft could be welded. How easy is it to weld the extention shaft on, and it be true? There is not much length, shaft only protrudes 11mm. Now if the shaft protruded 6", perhaps you could use angle iron to align the two shafts. Not sure you can do that with only 11mm protruding.

What would you do, just get a brass coupler because it's so much simpler? TIA.

Reply to
Rich

It is *very* easy to get it wrong. It is almost impossible to get it right, depending on how much wobble you want.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

I would set the shaht in a collet in the lathe by the other end, run this end in a steady, drill and tap the shaft and screw and locktite an oversize extension to the shaft. After curing I would turn the extension to size. Peter

Reply to
petercolman45

I would set the shaht in a collet in the lathe by the other end, run this end in a steady, drill and tap the shaft and screw and locktite an oversize extension to the shaft. After curing I would turn the extension to size. Peter

Reply to
Charles Hamilton

Okay, folks are telling me, Don't weld that shaft! I will take that advice. Thanks a lot.

Reply to
Rich