Where can I buy a 1/2 inch dia dead centre

I have acquired a small (= cheap) boring head which accepts 1/2 inch dia boring tools. I am thinking of using this as a way of offsetting the tailstock without affecting the normal tailstock setting in order to turn tapers on my ML7.

I've had a good look around the usual suppliers, many have 2MT fittings, but I cannot find a 1/2 inch straight shafted one.

I know I could make one from silver steel and harden it, but it hardly seems worth the effort if one is available off the shelf!

Does anyone know of a supplier who can supply a dead centre with 1/2 inch diameter shaft?

What is the general view of using a boring head for this purpose?

Thanks

Tony

Reply to
tony

Don't bother. Just get a piece of 1/2" diameter bar about an inch and a bit long, hold in the 3 jaw and drill a centre hole in one end with a centre drill and fit this into the boring head, centre hole out.

To the same again BUT DON'T REMOVE FROM CHUCK. This ensures it runs true. Then put your pre centered part in between these two with a 1/4" ball bearing as the revolving surface at each end. This takes up any misalignment in the part to be cut tapered. You can then dial the taper in using the boring head screw.

Mount it in the tailstock so the adjustment is horizontal. If it's slightly off it won't matter as you are dialing in.

And before any purist starts harping on about slop in the barrel key just f#~king fix it - you are a purist after all.

Pic of the setup.

Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

What a simple, yet brilliant idea. Instant taper turning attachment.

Thanks for the insight John

Cheers

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Hodgson

Thanks John

I am glad I posted the question as I hadn't considered that as a solution. I'll take your advice!

Tony

Reply to
tony