Wives/Girlfriends and Hobbies

Although our dear partners come in for a lot of stick on the newsgroup, I am sure that most of us would agree that they contribute far more to our well-being than we would care to admit, and in many cases they provide a valuable second pair of hands when things are getting tricky on assembly of the latest project!

Having met quite a few of them over the years, they all seem to be very reasonable people and keep their partners in relative comfort amid their workshop chaos.... :-))

Peter

Peter A Forbes

...................and they know where we are when they want us.

Mart> Although our dear partners come in for a lot of stick on the

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Peter

I'll have a couple of glasses of whatever it is your on this morning - it's only 11.30 must be strong stuff. I agree completely with the sentiment though but you shouldn't tell them too often. I'm not sure about that "second pair of hands", my wife says that I only want her to help so that I have someone to shout at when things go wrong (always). I do remember shouting (once??) many years ago unloading my mill drill

- her face was very red and her knees looked like they might buckle; I didn't want the paint damaged so I did raise my voice slightly. Just enough to inject some backbone and the day was saved. She complained about a bad back for ages though so I paid for it in other ways.

I think the truth is that for any of us to get actively involved with this hobby/interest it is a pre-requisite that our partners are understanding and supportive. I've several friends who would like to dabble but meet a brick wall whenever the subject is mentioned and the potential interest never gets off the ground. The other negative is that having a supportive partner means that there is no control on the more outlandish ideas and mistakes are made, sometimes when I've done/bought something stupid I wish she had said "no chance". Ah well the cross we bear I suppose.

To be honest I'm extremely lucky in being able to say that I have a very supportive wife who has indulged my engineering interests for the last 35 years, I feel safe in telling you that as she never reads this forum. I'll keep telling her that she is a bit difficult and my other friends wives let them have lots more toys, trouble is she has become fairly good at telling when I'm not being totally honest. When I worked for an American organisation we used to have an annual "Secretary Day" when we had to take them out for lunch and buy flowers etc, perhaps we should have a "Partner Apprentice Day" when we could buy them a new bit of equipment or something. About once every decade would seem about right.

All joking apart I am very lucky and do really appreciate the help and support I have. Although, I do wish that god had given me the ability to be "right" just once or twice over the last 35 years. Can't have it all I suppose.

Regards Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

As Joules's 'other half', hello Peter you delivered our Petter AV1.

Us girls know when we are being told 'porkies', and the truth is being stretched a little!

Flowers and chockies usually mean what has he been up to, and an urgent search of the credit card and bank cards!

Us women do have our uses even if it's just to make tea or keep your bellies full!

Jay (IT professional and engineering background)

And yes Joules thought he was in heaven when he met me - a women who likes the smell of oil and steam.

Reply to
Joules

There's more than one of you?!!

Reply to