WTB: Burnerd EC collet set

I dropped a bit of a clanger, offered my old lathe for sale complete with multi-size collet chuck & collets. Never thought about the collets for the new lathe, wasn't expecting to find a chuck to suit it any time soon. As it is, I've got a chuck for the new lathe even before the lathe has been collected! So, if anyone happens to have a set they never use, or knows of one languishing in someone else's workshop, please let me know. They're the EC type, up to 1 1/2" bore.

Thanks Tim

Tim Leech

I presume the Herbert & Ward types won't be of any use/adaptable ?

Peter

Reply to
Peter A Forbes

Not really, the Burnerd multi-size has six (usually) spring-loaded 'blades' which grip the part, a set of 11 covers 1/16" to 1 1/2" with no gaps. Also the spigot on a 2A collet os too large a diameter for the chuck otherwise some sort of conical sleeve could perhaps be made. They do come up on ebay now & again, I haven't noticed any recently.

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

OK, I have something like that in my boxes of stuff from Bob West, but only the collets IIRC. They are in cardboard tubular boxes? I'll have a look tonight, you're welcome to them if they are what you want.

Peter

Prepair Ltd

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 13:04:46 +0000, Prepair Ltd

If Tim's lucky they could be Burnerd Multi-size collets Like this:

or unlucky they might be Crawford Multi-bore collets like these:
I've got a set of multi-bore collets from 1/8th to 2" and they're great.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

I think the former of the two...:-))

Peter

Peter

Prepair Ltd

I hope so Peter

I'll be very glad to take your offer up if they are

Many thanks Tim Dutton Dry-Dock Traditional & Modern canal craft repairs Vintage diesel engine service

Reply to
Tim Leech

Hmmmm...

They are in fact Crawford, but they look like the Burnerd ones, which is a bit confusing!

The picture on the first URL is almost identical to the ones I have, down to the bit at the back and the moving gripper pieces.

Did Crawford make a compatible collet??

There are 7 of them, two have the Crawford boxes with them, and they are Type EA followed by a number.

Pause for thought and reflection.......

OK, the two boxes are not the same, one is Crawford and the other is Burnerd, I can read the name under the grime.

One collet is definitely Crawford, the others are probably Burnerd :-))

Peter

Reply to
Peter A Forbes

I believe they're both part of the same outfit now, but probably at one time one was trying to pinch a bit of another's market.

If they're EA, sadly they're smaller than I need (EC), limited to 1" I think.

Oh well.......

Many thanks Peter

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech