Latest threads in ⚙ Model Engineering in the UKshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

John Stevenson RIP
Sorry to hear of John's passing. Although we had a quarrel in here about 10 years ago, I introduced myself to him on the ArcEuro stand at the Midlands show and cleared the air. Subsequently had email...
4
4

Tolerance/fit question
I am turning a ballscrew end down, to fit a 6mm dia bearing. The bearing will be ABEC7, which has a hole tolerance of 0 to -4 microns. So far, so good. But how big should I make the shaft? It is 6.000...
2
2

mini lathe circuit board
The KBIC/KBLC motor controller circuit board which drives my Chester Conquest mini lathe has died, yet again. I am fed up with repairing it (and I am usually a patient and repair-y type guy, I nursed...
6
6

Dart drills
Cheap ones are, well cheap and usually nasty. Dormer are a bit too pricey (and Connect even more so), Dart seem more my price range, but are they any good? Ta, -- Peter F

Welding Masks?
As per my other post, I'm considering buying a small Mig Welder. I will, obviously, need a welding mask and I've been looking at the 'automatic' ones. Some seem very cheap. Are they any good? I've...
4
4

MIG Welding Gas vs No Gas
I recently found myself wishing I'd invested in a small welder (yet again*) when trying to make something. So, I'm looking at the options of buying a simple one, suitable for basic 'fabrication'. I'm...
4
4

Metric thread on an ML7
This ought to be simple so I'm probably missing something. I'm trying to cut a 1.5mm thread on an ML7 with 8TPI lead screw. I have a 127 tooth gear but no 21 tooth. Duncan Munro's Ml7 Gear calculator...
10
10

Regretted having started :-(
Having yesterday sorted out my small hand tools drawer, and sorting like-minded tools into chinese take-away plastic containers found this afternoon that the drawer woould not open. After much cussing...
52
52

K'Nex?
I've only just heard of this, and, as my Meccano set (with some bits dating back to 1910) is getting all bent and rusty, does anyone have experience of this as a prototyping tool? I did dally with...
2
2

"Time" to cut it "Shortt"
On the basis that my latest book, "Electrical Timekeeping" by Frank Hope Jones (1943 reprint) has just arrived, might I suggest that any further discussion goes to email (mine is correct subject to...
1
1

fao rickman
Since you asked, the Woodward account agrees with your assertion that the synchroniser on a hit acts to increase the force of gravity, although I think it would be better expressed by expressing the...
10
10

Shortt
Just looking at the mechanism in the master free pendulum, what happens if the two pendulums are PI out of phase, for this suggests that the light gravity link will drop on the wrong side of the...
5
5

circular in pendulums / pendulae / penduli
Variation of frequency with amplitude ...

Is it, or is it not, phase locking?
Comments have been that the Shortt clock is not a phase locked loop because of the infrequent checking but if you were to cast your mind back to the early days of PLLs in VHF rigs, typically the...
1
1

CMT - Cold Metal Welding?