Latest threads in ⚙ Model Engineering in the UKshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

A mechanical phase locked loop!
Continuing my googling following last night's BHI lecture, and following up on the Shortt and Hope-jones clocks, here is a mechanical phase locked loop, and in Meccano! ...
68
68

Hex bar - how is it made?
Any ideas, links? Ta, -- Peter F
8
8

Any german speakers around?
Any german speakers around? Could you translate this please? Fusspedalanschluss (7-polig, 15,5mm). Ta, --Peter Fairbrother
7
7

graphite rod source?
Anybody know of a source of 32mm (or so) graphite rod at non-sillly prices. Only want a foot or two. Used to be easy, but ... ta --Peter F
1
1

soldering graphite?
Is it possible? A friend says yes, with S-bond alloys, but afaict you need to vacuum-deposit something on the graphite first. Anything easier? ta --Peter Fairbrother
9
9

Vacuum pump curious behaviour.
I picked up a freecycled vacuum pump and motor a few years back for a round-2-it project for a vacuum bagging clamp to apply veneer to wood. I'm starting to put the system together for its first job....
3
3

Has anyone got a manual for a Wicksteed Hacksaw 8"?
As per Subject, seemingly a rare beast!
2
2

Acquired...
Gauge OO GRAFAR SR carriage 2 x Graham Farish Pullman car 2 x Different Pullman (dining?) car All in original packaging. Now I wish I still had those Graham Farish locos I had when I was a pre-teen...

Shipping Mill from the USA
Hi, I am thinking of buying a Tormach pcnc 770 mill, does anyone have any i dea of shipping costs/time and if anyone has done something similar a rec o f a shipping agent. Going for the Tormach in...
2
2

Any of the old crowd still here?
Time was when this was quite an active newsgroup, with a few very regular contributors, but anno domini has taken it's toll - we lost both Mark McGrath and Tim Leech to the big C but I suspect that...
29
29

skimming brake drums
I need to get a set of brake drums (8" not huge ones) There is a lip inside each and need to get rid of this before I install new shoes, and reassemble Anybody know of anywhere in S.Wales that does...

Melting Alumina tube
I want to be able to seal the ends of several alumina tubes, for thermocouples, maybe 6mm OD x 4mm ID, by melting the end into a blob, using oxy/acetylene. Did some trials, but my shade 5 goggles...
4
4

speed change
I'm currently working on a Herbert No4 Preoptive and am having a problem with the Speed changer when the button is pushed no change happens I can't see how this device works the top has been removed...

"Burping" induction furnaces
Does anyone know how this is done? eg: 8:34 at 4:06 at the metal has melted, and they mix it somehow by pressing a button. thanks, -- Peter Fairbrother
5
5

Happy Christmas to all our readers
.... that is if there are any :) Happy Christmas anyway even if you're not here to read this ! Andrew
5
5