Latest threads in ⚙ Model Engineering in the UKshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Plastic beads
Hmmm. An earlier post reminds me that I want several kilos/5 gallons of clear, preferably UV stable plastic beads, either solid or with a hole, the latter is preferable but not necessary. By small, I...

Removing Loctite fixed screws
I need to undo 4 x CSK stainless steel screws 3/8x24 UNF These are screwed into 7000 series anodized billet aluminium. Fixed by a Loctite (or similar) thread lock The heads are imperial allen socket....
14
14

Fitting a DRO to a round column mill drill
I have a round column RF25/ZX25 clone mill drill to which I fitted a cheap Chinese vertical digital scale to the quill some years ago which works well apart from the display not being very clear....

large washers
I want to buy/make some large washers in 3mm stainless, about 85mm OD and 30-75 mm ID. Any suggestions as to how to go about it? I was thinking boring head in a mill, but that would be a right pain....
6
6

Casting machine material
I am trying to build a vacuum investment casting machine for lost wax casting of high temperature materials (inconels and other nickel superalloys). The heater will be induction, either a ready-bought...
2
2

sourcing engineering plastics
I need some 50mm diameter engineering grade plastic rod - which I could get machined to my needs. Came across: Performance Plastics contacted them.. as I only wanted 100mm long he was happy to cut a...
1
1

Screw fitting to plastic moulding
I have an injection moulded device .. which is to be fixed by self tapper screws. The unit has no ?pilot? holes just ?shallow dimples? to allow screws to start. The unit has same feel & weight as...

Small milling machine
I am in the market for either a vertical or a universal small milling machine with a similar work capacity to my Myford ML7, and am looking for recommendations please. The Sieg X3 looks to be almost...
5
5

RIVNUT - rivet nuts help
I've an application for a riveted in threaded insert. Rivnuts would seem to fit the bill but I often see described as "blind" whereas all the photos seem to show them as open both ends. Can they take...
3
3

trike
Anyone have a source for trike (trichloroethane)? I'm looking for maybe a litre or two. Thanks Peter Fairbrother
2
2

Exhibitions
I just went to the Bristol show, which was ok, but there were hardly any traders of lathes, mills etc there (there were two small-to-medium mills, that's all). I'd like a chance to look at some lathes...
2
2

How to paint traction engine boiler
Any advice on what sort of paint for a 2" Fowler traction engine , steel bo iler? The hornplates will get bolted on soon, so that part of the boiler wi ll never be seen again, so protection is the...
3
3

Silly question - why 4mm grid paper?
Greetings and Salutations I have recently acquired a couple pads of A4 graph paper, but with 4mm grids. As is may seem a statement of the bleeding obvious, but 4mm is not an integer fraction of either...
37
37

MIG Welding.
Firstly, I'm a welding novice (if that) so some of what I say could well be nonsense. What I say below has been picked up over the years, from reading, YouTube, etc. It could be wrong. My...
8
8

An Enigma Machine?
I wonder if there have ever been designs published for an Enigma Machine, the mechanics of it, because, of course, it is a trivial matter to do in a computer program.
6
6