Injected plastic part with meltable core


I'm looking for informations concerning meltable core in order to realize hollow or empty aera in a injected plastic part.

  1. Is it possible with PP or ABS/PC ?

  1. What are the different chemical formulation for meltable core ?

3.What is the process for remove the meltable core ? Does it damage the part ?

  1. Is it possible to do the holow aera locally in the part, for exemple an hollow zone only in the middle of the platic part ?

  2. Is the process safe, dimentional stability ?

  1. Overmolding: hollow between the injected part and a textil or a film..


Reply to
Loading thread data ...

see below ...

"fnelias" schrieb im Newsbeitrag = news:bnuj0i$p7j$

Find some general info concerning lost-core or fusible-core technology = here:

formatting link

Yes, when the "correct" alloy is used to allow melt-out at temperatures "safely below" the melting or softening points of those plastics.

Mostly tin-bismuth alloys and the like.

formatting link

Melt-out in an oil bath or by induction! This will not damage the part, = otherwise this technology hadn't been used for many years ... =20

Yes, as long as part design allows melt-out after molding. In other = words you do need some openings in the part to allow the support of the alloy core in = the tool and=20 the removal of the alloy core after injection molding.

Yes. It has been used very successfully for automotive air intake = manifolds, for example, for many years.

Perhaps. Depends on the precise design.

A good alternative to lost-core technology might be multi-shell = technology:

formatting link

Reply to
Rolf Wissmann

PolyTech Forum website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.