Question about Polyester, Polymer and PET (2023 Update)

I hope someone knowledgeable could enlighten me about the following - I'm doing a report on plastics and need help figuring out some of the details. Thanks in advance!

What is the difference between polyester and polymer - is polyester a type of polymer or is it made from polymer or something else?

Is PET a type of polyester? Or is polyester a different product made from the same source? (I've noticed polyester is used - or referred to

- in products such as apparel, whereas PET ıs in particle form and used in making bottles).

What are TPA and DMT? Are they exclusively used for making PET - or are they used in producing other polyester products, as well? (Is DMT or TPA used in making a polyester fleece, for example?)

Thanks!

Reply to
Ricardo Felli

Yes, polyester is a type of polymer.

PET is polyethylene terephthalate. Same polymer can be used to make bottles and fibers.

DMT is dimethyl terephthalate and TPA is terephthalic acid. They are monomers and either can be used with ethylene glycol to make PET.

Reply to
Frank Logullo

You can use google to find out a lot about these topics. Your questions are probably a bit simple for most people here to spend much time answering. As I'm waiting for folks to get ready for lunch ....

thermal polyaspartate and dimethyl terephthalate

Use google with search terms: polymer TPA then with" polymer DMT

You'll find lots of stuff.

Reply to
bob

Gostaria de saber qual dos "Ricardo Felli" no Planeta Terra fez tal pergunta. Cidade, Estado,País....

Reply to
Ricardo