3D sweep?

I am a recently new user of pro/e working on wildfire release. I have no problems doing a sweep with a 2d trajectory but I can't figure out how to make it with a 3d trajectory without using an equation. I tried to make sketches in 2d (not in the same plane!) and even if I link every end point of a sketch with an other sketch, it doesn't work. I can't make it work with more than one sketch! I find it quite easy to do with Catia but with pro/e... So if anyone could answer me, I would appreciate! Thanks Vince

Reply to
Vince

Are you having trouble collecting segments for the trajectory (ctrl + pick One By One) or some other problem that's keeping the feature from solving? Have you looked at the Help (Part > Advanced Features > Sweeps)?

Reply to
Jeff Howard

As you might have figured out, Pro/e does not have 3d sketching capabilities. There are, however, a lot of ways to make 3d trajectories and two, in particular, that sweeps will follow. The first kind of trajectory is created at the intersection of two sketched curves (or surfaces). The two base curves are drawn on adjacent planes, each is projected normal to the sketch plane and a third curve is created at the intersection. When you have the two base curves sketched, you can create the interesecting curve with 'Edit>Intersect' in Wildfire.

Another way to create a 3d curve that a sweep will follow is as a 'Thru points' curve. The type of curve is not a spline but single (or multiple) radius with straight sections that make a bend at each point. This is selected in the 'Curve points' definition, along with the radius size which determines the radius at the bend. If I'm not mistaken, the Sweep feature really needs the radiuses and ones that will prevent it from collapsing in on itself. It doesn't take sharp turns gracefully.

There are several other features that will let you sweep or blend from one set of geometry to another. Some use trajectories, some, like the blend between sections, do not. This latter is often called 'lofting' in other software. One of the better ones that can use just about any type of trajectory is the swept blend. It's only restricition is that blending geometry at each section entity must have the same number of vertices. Another, the variable section sweep, can follow and vary the section along several trajectories.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

The pipe feature can also be used if the profile is a simple circle.

Reply to
Arlin

You mean 'Insert>Advanced>Pipe' and picking a bunch of datum points without creating the curve first? Is this feature available without the Pro/PIPE module?

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

Yep, that's the one. (Insert>Advanced>Pipe in WildFire or Feature>Create>Pipe in 2001).

I don't think you need Pro/PIPE... not certain exactly which modules we have here. Perhaps we do have Pro/PIPE. Is there an easy way to check (other than asking our administrator or PTC rep)?

Reply to
Arlin

: > You mean 'Insert>Advanced>Pipe' and picking a bunch of datum points without : > creating the curve first? Is this feature available without the Pro/PIPE module? : >

: > David Janes : >

: >

: >

: Yep, that's the one. : (Insert>Advanced>Pipe in WildFire or Feature>Create>Pipe in 2001). : : I don't think you need Pro/PIPE... not certain exactly which modules we : have here. Perhaps we do have Pro/PIPE. Is there an easy way to check : (other than asking our administrator or PTC rep)? : -- : Arlin : (remove '351' from email to reply)

Yeah, go to 'Help>Technical Support Info', there will be a section on Configure Option Modules that will list every module on your system, including floating ones.

DJ

Reply to
David Janes

Thanks, here is what that shows for me. Note, I don't see a Pro/PIPE.

The following Pro/ENGINEER options are installed: (Note: license extensions are marked with a '*')

Behavioral_Modeler Pro/FEATURE Pro/PROCESS_ASM Mechanism_Design Pro/INTERFACE Pro/REPORT ModelCHECK Pro/INTF-CADDS5 Pro/SCAN_TOOLS Pro/4DNavigator Pro/INTF-for-CAT Pro/SHEETMTL-DES Pro/ASSEMBLY Pro/INTF_for_STEP Pro/SURFACE Pro/CDT Pro/LEGACY Pro/WELDING Pro/COMPOSITE Pro/LIBRARYACCESS Pro/Web.Link Pro/DATA_for_PDGS Pro/NOTEBOOK Pro/Web.Publish Pro/DETAIL Pro/PHOTORENDER Pro/ECAD Pro/PLOT

Reply to
Arlin

Yup, no Pro/PIPE, but also, no telling what kind of license, what license 'package' this comes with or in what module it actually resides. For example, does this pipe feature come with the 'Foundation Advantage' license or do you need to get one of the more upscale (e.g., Engineering II) license packages. Maybe a sales guy could tell from this list what the package was, but I can't. And there online propaganda doesn't help either. The most simple things seem to be the most cultishly obscure and difficult to find anything out about.

DJ

Reply to
David Janes

It does.

The smoke and mirrors are more effective that way. 8~)

===================

Reply to
Jeff Howard

David,

I have a Foundation II package and although the license file does not list Pro/PIPE, I still have access to the Pipe command. Arlin's listing is for a package somewhat more extensive than Foundation II, though. Just for comparison, here is what you'll see in a Foundation II license file: # Optional Modules = Pro/INTERFACE for CATIA # Optional Modules = Pro/FEATURE # Optional Modules = Pro/DETAIL # Optional Modules = Pro/INTERFACE # Optional Modules = WLO # Optional Modules = Pro/SURFACE # Optional Modules = Pro/PLOT # Optional Modules = Pro/LIBRARYACCESS # Optional Modules = Pro/ECAD # Optional Modules = Pro/REPORT # Optional Modules = Pro/CDT # Optional Modules = Pro/DATA for PDGS # Optional Modules = Pro/LEGACY # Optional Modules = Pro/INTERFACE for STEP # Optional Modules = Pro/WELDING # Optional Modules = Pro/PHOTORENDER # Optional Modules = Pro/WEB PUBLISH (> OR = 18.0) # Optional Modules = Pro/SHEETMETAL-DESIGN # Optional Modules = Pro/INTERFACE for CADDS 5 # Optional Modules = Mechanism Design License # Optional Modules = 4DNavigator License # Optional Modules = Import Data Doctor # Optional Modules = Design Animation # Optional Modules = ModelCHECK License # Optional Modules = Pro/ASSY_PERFORMANCE

Reply to
Alex Sh.

capabilities.

Some additional info regarding Pro/E's Swept Blend and Variable Section Sweep functionality is that you can blend from a section containing several vertices to a sharp point--which is defined in the Swept Blend's sub-section as a Sketcher 'Point' entity. The Variable Section Sweep can have its cross-section height, for example, driven down to a point using a pre-existing datum Graph feature. Powerful functionality! You can generate geometry beyond your wildest imagination using the Variable Section Sweep feature in Pro/E.

S.T.

Reply to
S.T.