Can a projected sketch curve be extruded?

Greetings:

I have created a part (it's a label) in assembly mode using projected sketch curve onto a cylinder. It consists of a rectangular profile with Title, Model #, P/N using WF1 build 2003410 default "font". Is it possible to protrude this projected sketch to a depth of .05" away from the projected surface?

Your suggestion and help is greatly appreciated.

John.

Reply to
njchen24

From a PTC Suggested Technique (can I do this without attracting the attention of legal eagles?):

"Create an offset feature by pre-selecting the side surface of the cylinder as shown in Figure 3. Pick Edit > Offset. In the dashboard, change the offset type from Standard to Expand. Click Options from the dashboard, and pick Sketched Region and set the Side surface type to Normal to surface. A Sketch collector then appears in the dashboard. Pick the Create a section icon and select the offset datum plane created in Step 1 as the sketching plane. In Sketcher, Sketch > Edge > Use > Loop and pick each datum curve letter created in Step 2. Once all letters have been selected, click Sketch

material side icon to change the direction of the offset. This determines if the text will be cut into the cylinder or extruded out from the cylinder."

Think that's enough to get you started. If you look at the Offset Surface in Help, it gives you a rundown on the various options. (I'd guess that if you search sites like mcadcentral.com there are examples that you can download.)

Reply to
Jeff Howard

When I've done this before (pre-WF), I didn't first project or wrap the text curves onto a surface. I'm not sure what difference it would have made if I'd first taken this additional step. But, because the surface the text was offset from was only mildly curvy, putting the text on a plane, then kind of copying the text to the surface and simultaneously offsetting it worked fine. My question is this: do the curves need to be projected/wrapped first? is it a problem if they're already projected onto the surface?

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

A planar sketch is required for the feature, but if need be (the text will be distorted by the projection) you can first Wrap the text then project those curves back to the Offset feature internal sketch (Use Edge, Loop).

Reply to
Jeff Howard