Draft angle limits

Hello,

is it possible to get rid of the draft angle limit in Pro/E WF. Currently it is +/- 30 degrees (at least in my system). But sometimes I have applications, where I need more, say 60 deg. So, is it possible to reconfigure something somewhere to get it done? I am aware that usully there is no need for that big draft angle values, but what are the reasons why there are limits? Kernel does not support it or is it something else?

In other cad packages, we are using (for example Solid Edge), there seems to be no limits for draft angles.

Regars, rex

Reply to
rexx

"rexx" wrote in message news:bu8lag$gop$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eenet.ee... : Hello, : : is it possible to get rid of the draft angle limit in Pro/E WF. Currently it : is +/- 30 degrees (at least in my system). But sometimes I have : applications, where I need more, say 60 deg.

First, nothing in Pro/e prevents you from making an angle of walls that you need with blends, sweeps, variable section sweeps, etc. You can do this either with solids or surfaces, straight or curved sections. There are really no limits and no reason that I can see to be so attached to this one, admittedly limited, way of creating angled features.

: I am aware that usully there : is no need for that big draft angle values, but what are the reasons why : there are limits?

Whether the kernel supports it or not, the limits are there because Pro/e's approach to part and tooling creation is pretty conservative and conventional. One of the things that impressed me about it from the beginning was how much feature creation resembled similar manufacturing processes. When you needed a hole, there was a hole function and when you were done, you could see the drill point and the correct geometry of two holes drilled in a manifold block at right angles. The approach is the same with draft, a fairly narrowly defined way of creating angled walls to facilitate the release of parts from molding tooling. Pro/e's adherence to conventions in part and tooling creation dictates the 30 degree limit, the limit shown on any draft angle chart I have ever seen. Here, for example, is such a chart from DME, maker of mold sets and mold bases for plastic injection molding:

For the most part, although the chart shows up to 30 degrees considered as draft, I have not seen angles this large, even on the rough forming stations of multi-impression forging dies. The dies start out with large draft angles on walls, then through several stages, reduce the angle while forcing yellow hot metal into narrower and sharper cavities. Even the coring features of large, deep cores rarely finished at greater than 3 to 5 degrees of draft. Plastic injection molds have even smaller draft angles than this. And, in general, the overall tendency is to try to reduce draft angles to the minimum because of the effect they have on feature size. So, Pro/e and its approach agree with industry and tooling engineering standards. You seem to want to ignore this and have adopted draft angle creation as a generalized, non-specific method of creating any angled wall. However, it wouldn't serve part or tooling engineering to lose sight of the specificity of drafts.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

The 'draft' function should not be limited artifically by manufacturing or design convention, but by the mathematical limits of the function

For example, on forging dies, there is a feature called a 'gutter' that is lower that the flashland and allows for a release of pressure and a place for excess material to go. The slope angle down from the flashland to the gutter is typically 30 to 45 degrees. This feature is done easier as a cut with draft (solidworks) or a draft feature than a sweep. Especially when the flashland is not in a 2D plane.

On more complicated flashland profiles, because draft won't work, you need a sweep with fixed twist that is normal to a plae parallel ot the flashland. This can be very difficult to do using variable section sweep, requiring several trajectories, etc...

Much better to have a feature like draft to 'understand' this.

BTW, I understand that in WF II, I will be able to cut or protrude with draft. Hurray!

Example

FLASHLAND _____________ / / / BLEND ________/ GUTTER

Reply to
Chris Gosnell