Model depiction - model window vs preview window

Does anyone know how to adjust the model widow to properly display the coloring of the model as it appears in the preview window?

We use Wildfire 2, M040 (I think), and the preview window shows the model as it should be colored. In the model window however, the display is terrible, soft, over bright,, and sort of pastel looking. I'd like to see it as it should be while I work on it.

Changes to overall system setting would be best, so it is correct all the time, but I'll take suggestion to set changes for each new model if necessary.

Thanks a lot for any help you can give.

Jeff Thomas

Reply to
Flavius Marcus Septimus Agustus

We use Wildfire 2, M040 (I think), and the preview window shows the model as it should be colored. In the model window however, the display is terrible, soft, over bright,, and sort of pastel looking. I'd like to see it as it should be while I work on it.

Changes to overall system setting would be best, so it is correct all the time, but I'll take suggestion to set changes for each new model if necessary.

The problem is this: with WF, Pro/e has added much capability to the Color and Appearance menu. But while it's possible to adjust hue, saturation, brightness, contrast, reflectivity and a bunch of other appearance characteristics for any user defined colors and appearances, the default, base color CAN NOT be adjusted. And, unfortunately, many gpus and drivers react differently to this default color.

One approach might be to investigate your current compatibility with Pro/e and upgrade to different card/driver (BTW, you may have a certified card but the wrong driver):

Another approach would be to set your default model to a better, alternatively defined appearance with the Color and Appearance editor, apply the color to your default start part, save the appearance in APPEARANCE.DMT, then put this file in your startup directory. Your new parts should retain the new default appearance and you need never see the annoying current default color/appearance again.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

"David Janes" wrote in news:TNeUh.157628$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe10.phx:

Thanks David, but it doesn't matter how we color the parts, either after the fact or to the start part. The same part shows up differently in the two windows. The generated image of the model for the preview window looks just fine, but the same part, when opened in the actual working window looks like crap. Same part, same coloring, two different representations. This is what I don't understand, same rendering engine, same graphics card, same monitor, hell even the same program, but two different looks.

I will check tomorrow at work, but I'm pretty sure our cards, drivers, and monitor are all ok. We use standard Dells (Precision Work Stations), with NVidia Quadro graphics cards, and Dell flat panel monitors.

"Flavius Marcus Septimus Agustus" wrote in message news:Xns9914C75761636GladiusDisplayed@216.196.97.131... "David Janes" wrote in news:TNeUh.157628$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe10.phx:

I will check tomorrow at work, but I'm pretty sure our cards, drivers, and monitor are all ok. We use standard Dells (Precision Work Stations), with NVidia Quadro graphics cards, and Dell flat panel monitors.

Jeff Thomas I am also now wrestling with appearances, and the one thing I am absolutely sure of is this: it's not useable out of the box. Did I mention that I tried a simple thing? to put a texture on a surface? Seemed simple enough, worked fine. Save the part then open it again and the texture isn't there. Turns out you need to save the texture with a color in the palette, save the palette in an appeanance.dmt file in an accessible directory AND put the texture graphic in a specially designated texture directory for it to show up the next time. And, for anyone else to see it, they need your APPEARANCE.DMT file. I can't even imagine how much more insanely complicated the setup of RENDERING is, but, be assured, it's heavy on the front end to set it up and get it working right before it does a single minute's useful work for you. PTC licensed the code from third party vendors (Photolux, Lightwave, et al), you pay the money and YOU do all the work. They don't do shit but sit at the other end of a phone line and sound haughty and bored. Ought to tell you that it's really up to you. Especially how to get it working properly. Hopefully someone here is successfully using Advanced Rendering. I merely aspire....

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes