Need guidence

Hi there, I am a graduate in Manufacturing Engineering. Being an entry level candidate I would like to know the career prospects as help desk support in PTC. My ambition is to land up ultimately in an automotive industry. Kindly guide me. Your comments are very valuable for me. Thanks in advance Shankar.

Reply to
Shankar Venkateswaran

As a recent graduate with no industry experience your outlook for success within PTC is very positive. Good luck.

Reply to
Gra-gra

You mean I dont have a good prospectus in automotive industry after I come out of PTC? How do you say that? Please explain. I have one year experiance in industrial valve manufacturing.

Reply to
Shankar Venkateswaran

Shankar,

What Gra-Gra means is that PTC is populated with help desk support that has never used the application in a workplace setting, and therefore some don't really understand the challenges faced by those of us 'in the trenches'...

It is no slight against you.

BTW, Gra-gra, thanks for making me laugh at least once this week.

Pete

Reply to
Pete

I'm sorry, I was being sarcastic about the level of industry experience of some PTC help desk people. To be honest I'm not sure how working at PTC could enhance your prospects for a career in automotive design.

Reply to
Gra-gra

"Shankar Venkateswaran" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com... : You mean I dont have a good prospectus in automotive industry after I : come out of PTC? How do you say that? Please explain. I have one year : experiance in industrial valve manufacturing. :

This is a fair question, actually, two questions: how does working for PTC look on a Resume and what does it take to get into auto. Neither's an easy question. The best thing about working at PTC, in fact and in appearance, is that you are afforded an opportunity to learn the software, to take an unlimited number of PTC's own training courses, to hang out with the experts and to be perceived as an expert because you worked at PTC. I will go along with Gra-Gra in suggesting that the perceived expertise is overrated. The reputation of the PTC Help desk 'expert' may also have tarnished over the years. It will be what you make of it and by the second or third job after PTC, it will be like the summer camp counselor 'job' you put on your first Resume, for want of real work experience ~ a fill in to get you into an interview. If you actually design stuff, work in an engineering environment where they use Pro/e and confront/solve problems with Pro/e, figure out how to use Pro/e to do this, you will be light years ahead of where you'd be, messing around with PTC, well, for more than a year or two, anyway.

The second part of your question ~ getting into auto, what you need to get in ~ is more difficult. First, you shouldn't hang around a Pro/e site; auto uses Catia and mostly, SDRC Ideas software, and Pro/e comes in probably dead last, behind UG, in the US, anyway. Second, the hard part is to find out what they require, what the average hiree has as far as background and experience and whether you match up. Unless you know of a place where they use Pro/e and need support people, you'd spend your time more wisely trying to find people who work in auto and learning, first hand, what it's like, what they need, who they hire, etc.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

Hey Guys, Thanks for the info. Make it a great day! Shankar.

Reply to
Shankar Venkateswaran