Re: Importing PADS dxf into ProE2001

John,
I've had similar problems importing files from PADS. What I've had to do was get the file into acad and save as a .dwg file, then create a
drawing in Pro/E and import the newly created acad .dwg file. Now that I've got the drawing in Pro/E, I've got lots of editing to do. It's very time consuming. I need to delete tons of stuff and play with layers to get anything useful... just like you. Most of the time I just need screw hole locations or "keep outs" and it's a slow process to say the least.
In Pro/E, once I've got the drawing to a point where I can use it, I export the drawing from Pro/E into IGES and then create a new part. Now I create a csys offset from three planes (default DTM planes) and then create a datum curve "From File" and select the IGES curve file just created and place it at the new, movable csys. Now I can create geometry based on the PC board file from PADS.
I'd be interested in knowing how to get around this issue also.
Later,
Bob
john wrote:

layer
resolve

Isn't there a separately licensed translator that takes PADS output and turns it into solid models? Don't know what it is but I've used the .emn and .emp files it produces. Using those, I've created pretty accurate board and component models.
Re: 2D stuff, I had to load the DXF into ACAD and dimension that. Pro/e wouldn't touch it. Don't remember if there was an error code or if it just sat there and pretended to be bored. In any case, it didn't work. It was actually kind of nice to be reminded of some of the reasons I hated drafting software.
David Janes