spamming in our forum

How does everybody deal with the jacka$$ who is spamming all the "M'I,

5" garbage? Is there a way to filter it out. He's really getting to be annoying.
Reply to
Aggrevated

I group select his gibberings & hit 'delete' - shame the group isn't moderated or someone would do it for us.

The real solution would of course be electroconvulsive therapy.

Reply to
ESTHER Lysett

Well I can't seem to find a delete button

Reply to
Aggrevated

Well I use google "groups" to get here. I really like the interface and the search capabilities. But, you are restricted from deleting or filtering anything out.

o well

Reply to
Aggrevated

I agree. Enjoy the group for what it is. Laid back, low traffic, not over run with snake oil peddlers and dumass skool kids trying to find someone to do their lab assignments or, krishna forbid, gigabytes of binary spam and wow-the- kiddies-ain't-I-cool renderings.

The technical content is above average for usenet but I read the group mostly to catch your unique perspective on things, Dave. Maintain the high standard of excellence. 8?)

Reply to
gluteous maximus equus

I agree. i think we should this NG comp.cad.dave.janes.

Reply to
graminator

Thanks for the kind words. Think I should run for public office? I already have a slogan:

ALL THE WAY WITH DAVID J.

And I'm the front runner in the polls.

I guess we're of different minds on making this a binary newsgroup. On comp.cad.solidworks, they ignore the "ban" on binaries in text NGs and just post parts, jpegs, etc. anyway. And no one shows up wagging fingers at them (probably cuz they'd get royally cussed out if they did.) I couldn't even find out on news.newusers.answers if it was possible to make that kind of switch. Ever since they got sporged this summer, revealing that their moderation system was weak, at best, they've had tons of crap dumped on them, legitimate participation is way down. And half my stuff doesn't even get posted. You don't think I could be too abrasive, do you. Naaahhh!!

Reply to
Janes

I have had a reduction in the amount of garbage getting to me using the filters in IE 6.0. Here's what I did...

Tools, Message Rules, Blocked Senders List... "News Rules" tab Click "New Rule" Click "New" button.

  1. Check box "Where the subject line contains the specific words"
  2. Check box "Delete it"
  3. Rule description contains (I cut and pasted ONLY the various M'I 5, or 'M.I 5" variations and added them to the rules.
  4. Name of Rule #1 - I called mine, "New News Rule #1"
  5. Hit OK.

That has helped quite a bit on my end.

Best of luck.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Schwerdlin

So you don't use google. I tried >mail and news > read news but it asks me to nominate a NNTP server and I don't know what that is.

Reply to
graminator