Wildfire locking up when more than one window is open

Is there anyone who might have an idea why Wildfire is so prone to locking up? I can get Wildfire to run without locking up if I keep only one window open. I can open a maximum of three before everything locks up. The computer will not respond to cont_alt_del and has to be reset.

I^2 would tolerate having 15 windows open without any problem. I am running Windows 2000 Service Pack 4, Pentium 4, 1.8 GHz and one meg of ram. Thanks for the help.

Peter

Reply to
bungee_peter

These problems invariably boil down to graphics card issues. If you have an approved graphics card, make sure you have the latest drivers. I'm not an expert, but your cpu might be worth upgrading as well.

Reply to
dakeb

What graphics card? The lock up and limitation on open windows is dependent on the graphics card chip set, graphics card RAM and the drivers.

Reply to
Ben Loosli

I'll hazard a guess and say that you are using an ATI Radeon video card........probably on a laptop too. Those cards have no hope.

Reply to
Pete

I disagree. I have a 128MB Radeon 9800Pro, while not certified, it does run UG and Pro/E without problems.

Reply to
Ben Loosli

You are very lucky if it works without modification of drivers. Try to sketch something with more then 20 entities on sketch, and tell us then that it is running fine. I don't think that you will say that.

And considering ATI radeon and Pro/E (OpenGL) there is solution: google for FreeFireGL (for desktops) and FreeFireGL 8x00 (for laptops)

dida128

Reply to
dida128

Thanks Ben.

I have an ATI Fire GL Z1 128MB graphics card. It is in the approved group of cards recognized by PTC. I am using dual monitors. Thanks for the help.

Peter

Reply to
bungee_peter

I was having problems w/ my Radeon card locking up in WF. I set the CMOS parameter "enable 4X AGP" to "off" (card now runs at 2X AGP) and the lock up problems went away.

-jk

Reply to
jk

Oops, I did not change the 4xAGP CMOS parameter as stated in my previous message; I set the "Fast write support" to "disabled" to cure my Radeon lock-up problems.

-jk

Reply to
jk