24v upto 40Amp H bridge DC motor driver schematics

Where can I find 24v upto 40Amp H bridge DC motor driver schematics?

In comp.robotics.misc 40Amp wrote: : Where can I find 24v upto 40Amp H bridge DC motor driver schematics?
Google?
* Dennis Clark snipped-for-privacy@frii.com www.techtoystoday.com *
On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 03:13:24 +1000, <40Amp> wrote:

Google like the other chap said. Here is one http://www.pmb.co.nz/pub/index.htm go to the bottom of the page. http://www.pmb.co.nz/downloads/dgc_old_scp.pdf
Regards, John Crighton Sydney
John Crighton wrote...

That one is overly complex with poor performance, and has a fatal flaw to boot. Not recommended.
--
Thanks,
- Win

["Followup-To:" header set to sci.electronics.design.] On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 22:10:25 +1000, <Poseidon> <> wrote

I'd build one around the HIP4081A. Look at the data sheets and app notes on the Intersil website.
--Daniel
--
"With me is nothing wrong! And with you?" (from r.a.m.p)

<Poseidon> wrote...

A 1kW H-bridge is not a good choice for a high-power-novice copy-the-schematic project (making no assumptions about you).
I'd begin with my favorite HIP4081A H-bridge driver IC, add some large MOSFETs, evaluate snubbers and filters, and move on to considering protection and controller schemes. Hmm, perhaps that's backward, and one should start by evaluating recent motor-controller ICs first, and move on FETs, etc.
--
Thanks,
- Win

Heh. Stephen King just wrapped up a seven-book series with a polite request to readers to refrain from looking up his address and driving over for a visit to debate the merits of the ending.
For your own peace of mind, this habit you have of citing "bad" circuits without revealing their flaws may require a similar notice in the preface to AoE 3rd ed.
Just sayin', 's all.
-- jm ------------------------------------------------------ http://www.qsl.net/ke5fx Note: My E-mail address has been altered to avoid spam ------------------------------------------------------
John Miles wrote...

Nah, folks are more than welcome to come visit me anytime at my lab and debate circuits, lift a brew, or whatever! But as for Stephen King, after stringing along as a paying customer on his online novel experiment, one delayed chapter at a time, and getting jilted unable to read the ending, I realize he has a very serious crybaby problem.
--
Thanks,
- Win

Was Stephen King the one who did "Pet Sematery?" Or was that Spielberg?
I saw "It," and was really disappointed with that sewer clown/spider thing.
Other than that, I think the crowning moment of King's glory was the line: "I'll be dipped in shit if that ain't a meteor!"
Cheers! Rich

If thats an open invitation i might be interested in taking you up on exept for the fact that ive not been wel enough to go out for the last few years, however i find im only realy interested in circuits that are on the edge of posibility, wich means i dont often produce anything that usefull, just as well its only a hobby now i gues, unless of course i managed to actualy do something that realy is (was) imposible.
I think the bad circuits idea in AoE are a good idea and not having an explanation gets ones mind working till the flaw is found, and also maybe gives you an idea of how good you are if you can find each ones flaw without any help.
Colin =^.^
At about the time of 9/30/2004 6:24 AM, colin stated the following:

Looks to me like the two H-Bridges are not independantly controlled. Two motors at the same speed is a straight line. I could think of a couple of applications for this, but nothing really practical.
--
Daniel Rudy

Email address has been encoded to reduce spam.
"Daniel Rudy"
wrote in message

maybe
without
As i understood it, the output of the two bridges are suposed to be paraleled together to deliver more curent to a single motor, Although i hadnt thought about two motors driven at the same time.
Colin =^.^
On 29 Sep 2004 04:34:50 -0700, Winfield Hill

OK, I'll bite! I can't see the fatal flaw. Why is this circuit a poor performer?
A pal of mine up in Newcastle, is gathering parts to build this particular motor controller, so if there is anything flawed, we would like to know about it.
Is it the choice of parts that you don't like? Remember, here in Australia and NZ the parts available to choose from are limited, compared to the vast array of components available at low prices in the USA.
Getting back to that particular circuit, I thought the designer in New Zealand hand done a good job. The Fet driver circuit looks good, there is a safety interlock and over current feature. What don't you like about this controller?
Regards, John Crighton Sydney
John Crighton wrote:

I'm not the original poster that said to be a flaw and never came back with the flaw, but took some minutes to take a look at the circuit and saw 2 possible points of failure: the low speed diodes in the bridge and the high side driver. Both could burn the FET's. I really think it would be better to use some bootstrap from IR or some other (IR2104 comes to mind, but it may be too weak for driving mosfets with 40A). Most of the times the MOSFET internal diode is enough. IGBT can be purchased with internal diode as well. If the internal diodes aren´t enough, be sure to use high speed ones and to give dead time to the switches longer than the reverse recovery of the diode and the turnoff+fall time of the switch.
Regards, Ricardo.

The fonts used in that schematic made my eyes go funny, and double and triple lines here and there made me feel a bit drunk, also for some reason adobe seemed to take forever just to scroll acros it .. so i havnt managed to look for any flaws.
Colin =^.^
Further looking at it revealed C5 wrong way round,lower gate drive circuits could be a lot simpler with just 2 transistors each, top ones cld be done with 3 or posibly 2, overcurent should have some sort of hystereseis/time latch on it, otherwise the transistors could be switched on and off very rapidly under overcurent conditions for wich the slow antiparalel diodes used would cuase serious problems. im not sure about the wiseness of paraleling such a lot of the circuitry for more power.
As a note, reverse and forward seem to be negative logic inputs, and it might be preferable to force an all off/fualt condition if both are active.

colin wrote...

There's more, much more.
--
Thanks,
- Win

Someone else mentioned the slow diodes in the bridge and the high side driver, but tbh i assume this isnt going to be switched at a very high rate, - or sudenly switch from forward to reverse instantly, its just so obviously not designed for it, but maybe it could use some dead time control, just in case, a few tens of microseconds at least, then the diodes would have plenty of time to recover before they were reverse biased, is obviously not designed to handle the kenetic energy of the motor being dumped back into it, so the bridge diodes just have to handle inductive turn off transient, in fact i asume the mosfet internal diodes will be able to handle that anyway, although thinking about it again the emf from the free wheeling motor might reverse bias them imediatly after the curent has droped to zero, im not sure the 0.1 uf capacitors would help much with the curents involved, but its not like its 100v or more.
The supply to the high side driver could do with being modified slightly, high transient curents flow through c8/c11 also d1/d4 wich is probably not forseen.
Apart from the choice of power transistors im not sure what else there is left to criticise perhaps it could do with an on/off switch maybe. or maybe im missing something bigger? the 100k resistors in series with the scmit trigers seem dubious, and perhaps some supply decoupling.. there doesnt seem to be any at all for the main supply.
Colin =^.^
On 30 Sep 2004 09:25:24 -0700, Winfield Hill

Colin and Ricardo have pointed out a few flaws, reversed electrolytic capacitor which is a typo, slow and puny protection diodes. Right Oh. No large electrolytic capacitor on the controller board. Right Oh. Someone criticised parallel power fets. Is that so bad?
The over current protection is not latched off permanently until overload is removed. OK not so good.
I still don't see the fatal flaw to cause it to go bang.
My friend is intending to control an auto pilot motor in a small fishing boat. The motor will run for a few seconds in one direction, stop for a second or so and run for a second or more in the other direction.
No speed control but later on my friend will add a soft start circuit to produce narrow pulses around 300/400 Hz, gradually increasing in width to full on, over a period of a second or so to prevent the steering gear being knocked around too much by the motor. That is just an added refinement that would be nice but not essential at this stage because the main concern now is
The fatal flaw that we can't see!
I give up. Do tell.
Regards, John Crighton Sydney