24v upto 40Amp H bridge DC motor driver schematics

Colin and Ricardo have pointed out a few flaws, reversed electrolytic capacitor which is a typo, slow and puny protection diodes. Right Oh. No large electrolytic capacitor on the controller board. Right Oh. Someone criticised parallel power fets. Is that so bad?

The over current protection is not latched off permanently until overload is removed. OK not so good.

I still don't see the fatal flaw to cause it to go bang.

My friend is intending to control an auto pilot motor in a small fishing boat. The motor will run for a few seconds in one direction, stop for a second or so and run for a second or more in the other direction.

No speed control but later on my friend will add a soft start circuit to produce narrow pulses around

300/400 Hz, gradually increasing in width to full on, over a period of a second or so to prevent the steering gear being knocked around too much by the motor. That is just an added refinement that would be nice but not essential at this stage because the main concern now is

The fatal flaw that we can't see!

I give up. Do tell.

Regards, John Crighton Sydney

Reply to
John Crighton

On Sunday 03 October 2004 12:58 am, John Crighton did deign to grace us with the following:

Have you tried it with the listed fixes fixed?

The fatal flaw is your bang-bang on/reverse cycle.

Since it's only software, do the softstart and deadtime now, so you quit breaking stuff, and implement the other suggestions before you fire it up some more.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

At about the time of 9/30/2004 6:24 AM, colin stated the following:

Looks to me like the two H-Bridges are not independantly controlled. Two motors at the same speed is a straight line. I could think of a couple of applications for this, but nothing really practical.

Reply to
Daniel Rudy

"Daniel Rudy"

As i understood it, the output of the two bridges are suposed to be paraleled together to deliver more curent to a single motor, Although i hadnt thought about two motors driven at the same time.

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin