Automatic Page Turner

Hello, my name is Gary Cabatingan... I am disabled person and am not able to use my arms. I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas for an automatic page Turner. I have searched the Internet for one, but not one works well. The one I own right now works badly and was very expensive. I don't know if this is even the right newsgroup to post to. Please help me.

Reply to
Gary Cabatingan

Hi Gary, I did some searching on the internet, and it is indeed hard to find the right kind of devices. They seem quite expensive. But I did find a link that seems appropriate.

The Touch Turner sounded like a fair prospect. Are you familiar with those?

So perhaps you might want to tell us which turner you have, and what problems it has. Key to making something which would work for you, it would help us if we knew your abilities. I've seen turners which are just something like a pencil eraser on a stick worn like a hat, that allows you to use your neck and head to "push" the page over. Are you looking for something like that, or sip and puff, or what. What works well for you now? How did you write your post on the internet?

Best wishes,

-- Randy M. Dumse

Caution: Objects in mirror are more confused than they appear.

Reply to
RMDumse

I am curious also about the environment you will be using the page turner in? Is wind going to be a factor? Have you found that books have different page thickness and stiffness problems?

Is it preferable for the page turner device to also hold the book and what does the book holder or page turner need to be attached to?

I agree with the previous poster Randy M. Dumse that we could help a lot better if you could tell us what you can do, what you have now, what you have tried, and what problems you have had with items you have used. What would be ideal and then we can parse it down from there.

I have lots of ideas but what would work for you is what is most important.

Don't be bashful and let us know. Most of us like a good challenge!

HobbyBot

Reply to
<HobbyBot

Handling the pages is a tricky problem sometimes even without any disability. In particular, opening the pages far enough to read, contending with the spine of the book which seeks to close can be a real issue, as is separating 'stuck' pages. Trying to handle these problems right in front of your face will make things harder.

One approach for ideas might be to look at the systems used by libraries for scanning books. With the right sort of optics it is only necessary to open the book a little before scanning the pages, which reduces problems with a stiff spine - generally making page handling somewhat simpler. You could scan pages in real time, or possibly scan a book offline - particularly useful if scanning is slow. Of course, once it is scanned it can be read or re-read at your leisure. Note also that the book could be scanned as a bit image (picture, basically), or using OCR converted into text which could be read out by a suitable vocoder.

regards, Dave Garnett

Reply to
Dave

I suspect that the ideal approach is to remove the need for the handicapped inividual to deal with the page turner. This way, the system doesn't need to be as robust, and deal with the difficulties you mentioned.

If someone else scans the book, then the handicapped individual can read the scanned version from a computer which would be MUCH more reliable that any mechanical system.

Many newspapers and magazines have an electronic format which you can subscribe to. Some are free. I wonder what percentage of new books are also available electronically?

Joe Dunfee

Reply to
cadcoke3

  1. I am 30 and have muscular dystrophy and can't use my arms at all. I can use my fingers to some degree on my right hand, but can't move my hands at the wrist. I drive an electric wheelchair with a mini joystick that is very easy to move with my thumb and index finger.
  2. I use my automatic page Turner in an indoor environment. I can read books and magazines up to about 2 inches thick. It is easier for the page Turner to turn book pages, rather than slippery magazine pages.

  1. The problem I had with my current page Turner is that the small joystick that came with it is too stiff for me to push in any direction. The other optional methods to control the page Turner do not seem very efficient to use the page Turner effectively.
Reply to
Gary Cabatingan

"Gary Cabatingan" wrote;

Gary, I hate to say this, but I think the solution is going to require that you find someone who is near you who can come over and see your problems and talk with you about what you feel would work for you.

I looked at the Web site you listed and the device you use. I assume from what you said that you use the "joystick" control. I noticed that the joystick requires that at times you be able to "twist" the joystick. Am I right that this might be part of the problem with using this joystick?

You also mentioned that the spring pressure is too hard, or at least that is what I think you meant. That might be something easily changed.

I live in Frederick, Maryland, US. If that is near you, let me know. I would be interested in at least looking at the problem and talking with you to see if there is anything we could do to make it work easier.

Of course, I don't do this for a living, I don't have any canned answers, I like a good challenge, and therefore I do it for fun. I have a workshop and lots of ideas, I'm 60 years old, and I'm an engineer type with a very broad range of experience. Maybe there is a simple solution(?)

I am trying to figure out a way to send you my personal email address, but can't think of one right now. I don't want to give it out on the newsgroup and get spammed to death! I will try a sample email to snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com and if it goes through, reply to my personal email and I will ask more questions and investigate more answers.

If my personal email does not go through, I will contact you again on this newsgroup in a couple of days.

HobbyBot

Reply to
<HobbyBot

The below quote indicates that there are ways beyond the joystick to control the unit. You might want to request more info on these gizmos from the maker to find out just how these interface with the unit.

"It can be operated with a variety of multiple-switch assemblies or optionally with a visual scanner and any single switch. And, it can be run by most environmental control units."

Reply to
Si Ballenger