Biped project

If anyone is interested, This is what I have been working on last year-The saga continues into this year also, I am still tying up
a few loose ends. I know many here dont give a hoot about humanoids or bipeds, but take a look ! I dont have a regular website, and my photograpy(besides being dated) is pretty bad, but I think you can get the gist of it all.
http://members.aol.com/castvee8/1
Mark
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I don't think I can... for me, this appears as just a long page of gibberish. Did you intend that to be some sort of viewable file?

Try this link(it has the extension .jpg) Some browsers have trouble without it:
http://members.aol.com/castvee8/1.jpg
On Mar 28, 11:59?am, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Thats not working either-sorry-Will look into the problem. My apologies.
Mark
Ok-This link with the extension seems to be working:
http://members.aol.com/castvee8/2.jpg
Mark
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

That's very neat. I'd love more detail on how you make the resin parts.
Also, you should consider using robotics servos for the joints. They can be a bit expensive, but not too bad -- an AX-12+ is $45 (including some handy brackets), and offers 16.5 kg cm of torque, which is a lot. It's very hard to come up with your own motors, feedback sensors, and electronics to do what these servos do, with the same speed and strength, for less money.
That may not be strong enough for a 4-foot-tall robot though. If necessary, you can go to truly monstrous ones like the DX-117, with 37 kg cm of torque. That's going to set you back a lot more money, though (like $150-$200, I think).
You might be able to get by with something like the AX-12+ for most of the joints, and just double it up for critical ones like the knee. That gives you twice the speed and torque of a single servo, and is a pretty common trick on the Robo-One circuit. (Though your robot is a giant compared to any of them!)
Best, - Joe

I got kinda hung up on using steppers in the eighties-The ones on this machine are a buck each(on sale),regular 2.95. I can run the arms fast- but the legs need to move slower for now as I am using no balance system electronics. Right now it utilizes GOG(Grace of God) and carefull tinkering with center of gravity.Servos are do-able! I suppose some day I will have to get with the program.As is the whole dern thing only costed about 300$ to get up and well.....er....running. I made molds for each of the joint parts so I can make what I need on demand. I hate tearing something apart to modify it, this way I can just slap another limb together and make changes. I used mainly gearsets from american science and surplus(4 gear set 1.95 each) fro the drives. The resin parts I made from wood patterns-I coat them with about 40 layers of latex(letting dry between each coat). When the latex(available online,Google for environmental tech products) is dry, you pull the wood patttern out, and support the mold on the sides and fill with resin. You can use fiberglass resin from the auto store about 30$ a gallon. Then drill,tap, sand and paint to suit. Higher quality resins can be had in epoxy or urethanes. Its obvious I need to join a timewasters ten step program. But the fun and entertainment value is priceless. I just got tired of "box" robots with wheels,tracks etc. I had NO idea............
Joe-Thanks for the advice! you have me thinking.....
Mark
    --Interesting stuff; here's a link to a little 'food for thought': http://anybots.com /
--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Whoopee! We've passed
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : the Burnal Equinox!!