Can HDPE be easily painted ?

Since HDPE is so difficult to glue, I was wondering if it can be painted with off the shelf paints like Krylon spray, etc. I'm guessing these would not adhere well to it ?
Thanks !
Since HDPE is so difficult to glue, I was wondering if it can be painted with off the shelf paints like Krylon spray, etc. I'm guessing these would not adhere well to it ?
As Roseanna Anna Danna used to say " ... never mind!".
This is just one of the many references I found from Googling on HDPE:
"One idea is to use, if available, a 'waxed' paint product. We used to mark Pe containers with wax crayons (showing liquid/gallonage levels) and then HEAT those markings ... and as Pe is a long chain wax olefin, ah, those markings would become indelibly fused in place. Anyhow, food for thought....and yes, Pe like PP, unless specially treated (expensive !) won't allow for a good painted surface as you have found out!"
Got that info from this page: http://www.finishing.com/333/59.shtml
Anyway ... thanks for any input ! JCD
Pogo wrote:

off the shelf paints like Krylon spray, etc. I'm guessing these would not adhere well to it ?

Not without priming. There are primers for plastics that will break the long-chain bonds in the polymer, so the paint has something to which it can adhere.
The consumer version of this is "Rust-Oleum Plastic Primer".
                John Nagle
On Mar 22, 2:03 am, "Pogo"

I think you can dye it to an extent. In some drug stores, and places like Walmart, they are in the washing-machine detergent area. (When you dye clothes, you normally do it in a washer.)
I don't recall if it is used as is, or if it is made acidic by adding vinegar (like when you dye Easter eggs).
Either way, be sure to wash it well afterwards, so you don't start transfering dye to people's hands, etc.
Joe Dunfee