Painting question

I've started doing the weathering on a model I scratch built. The sides are painted with a mixture of acrylic paints -- both the original painting I did about 2 years ago and some touch-up I did yesterday. I'm using a dilute wash of a water-based acrylic black paint (from a tube of art-store paint) to weather and it worked perfectly on the sides.

But the roof is painted with Floquil (solvent) paint and the weathering wash just runs off the roof without adhering. Is there some intermediate clear (preferably flat) layer that I can safely put down over the Floquil on the roof to allow using the water-based acrylic wash? Or am I stuck having to create a solvent-based wash for the weathering?

TIA Norm

Reply to
Norm Dresner

Norm Dresner spake thus:

Since the paint is solvent-based, just use another solvent-based paint that's flat (like Dullcote or equivalent). Even clear flat spray lacquer from the hardware store would work, assuming you can mask and spray it. This will adhere to the paint, and water-based paints should adhere to it. You could try a test patch first.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl