[Demolicious] ASIMO goes Over the Edge

Oddly, the show was stopped.

CorDM

The thing falls without even attempting to rebalance itself or protect itself. I wondering whether it has simply a pre-programmed script of joint position to follow.

Reply to
Vend

Watch several asimo videos on youtube. Notice that the robot is lining itself up with squares on the floor. Doubtlessly it is lining itself up with pre-placed squares on the stairs as well. At the end of the demonstration they have it "walk off stage". It is not doing that at all. It is walking towards squares that it sees on the floor through the door.

I watched this video over and over in slow motion and I can't figure out what happened. Did the back foot slide out? Did the back foot get caught on a stair? It doesnt look like either case. It looks like it just lost power suddenly.

I did notice that asimo seems much lighter in weight than I would assume. I thought one of the tricks they were using for balance was VERY heavy feet. This doesnt seem to be the case. Asimo looks like its made of mostly empty plastic.

Reply to
HMSBeagle

It looked to me like the leg simply gave out from under the robot. The knee joint just buckled. This could have been the result of losing power, an internal short or other fault that caused it to power down immediately, or a mechanical defect in the joint.

Something broke off the robot when it hit the floor, but I bet that damage was less than if a short had started a fire in its wiring. I'd wager it went into safe mode, and just "feinted."

-- Gordon

Reply to
Gordon McComb

Seems like Asimo's right foot touched step but continues moving forward as prescribed relative to body; as result whole body and left foot moved backward; left foot lost support, but right foot leaned on previous step - so body throw over back because center of mass is back from support point.

Obviously Asimo's control system is not used sensors feedback as intensively as human and most of animals, so it is nice doll rather than useful autonomous creature. Vehicle witch so primitive control system don't have chances to win forthcoming Grand Challenge :-)

-- Nick

Reply to
Nick
[snippedeedoodah]
[snippedeeay]

Some "safety" feature!! Umpteen kilos of robot in close proximity to humans toppling over like a tree. What happened to the first law of robotics?? The least it could do is say "Whoops!" on the way down, and then something appropriate like "You call this job satisfaction? Cause I don't :("

Or to quote the Doctor: "Well it's not worth fifteen million pins if it doesn't work, is it?"

____________________________________________________ "I like to be organised. A place for everything. And everything all over the place."

Reply to
Tim Polmear