LED array

I need an array of about 300 small LED's, each about 3-5 mm wide. The hard part is this: I need to be able to switch on/off one of all these
(i.e. only one led is lit at any time). The number of cables required should be about 2*sqrt(300), right?
How do I build such a controller? Can I buy it somewhere? Where do I find the LED's?
Any help would be appreciated.
A bit more information please.
Is this a single line of 300 LEDs ?? How long will the LEDs be lit, 100 Milliseconds or 10 seconds ?? How will that LEDs be arranged ?? How far do you want to see this display ?? (i.e. brightness )
A multiplexed scheme would work fine if only one LED is lit at a time.
This can be done with as few as 15x20 lines.( 35 )
snipped-for-privacy@spam.com wrote:

Yes, it's a single line of 300 LEDs (actually, I need 6 of these lines, totalling 1800 LEDs). One of these LEDs will be lit for a few seconds (<10) and then turned off. Brightness is not important.
The lines will be used to indicate the position of empty slots. We have 6 lines of 300 slots each, the width of each slot is about 4 mm (6 x 1200 mm). The width of the LED line shouldn't exceed 10 mm. Each LED array will be positioned like a scale, next to each slot array.
If someone could build this for us, we'd be happy to pay top dollars. All 6 lines must be linked to a single serial/parallell/usb cable, and only one LED or none must be lit at any time (i.e. one of the 1800 LEDs).
wrote:

these
should
find
Check out Maxim's MAX7219 & '7221 LED drivers

only
What city/state/country are you in ???
hamilton AT dimensional DOT com
snipped-for-privacy@spam.com wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@spam.com please email.
hamilton wrote:

Maxim makes a single IC that can drive 64 LEDs, so you need 5 of these chips.
You send data to the chips over a 2-wire interface, so you don't have to go crazy with cables.
I don't remember the part number, but I have at least 5 of these I can sell you. THey are about $7.00 each if I remember correctly.
You then need to wire up the 300 LEDs.
--
- Alan Kilian <alank(at)timelogic.com>
Director of Bioinformatics, TimeLogic Corporation 763-449-7622

should
Serial LED shift register/latches, 3 lines, clock,data,stobe.. easy stuff.. look at allegro or toshiba