LED array

I need an array of about 300 small LED's, each about 3-5 mm wide. The hard part is this: I need to be able to switch on/off one of all these (i.e. only one led is lit at any time). The number of cables required should be about 2*sqrt(300), right?

How do I build such a controller? Can I buy it somewhere? Where do I find the LED's?

Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to
<no

A bit more information please.

Is this a single line of 300 LEDs ?? How long will the LEDs be lit, 100 Milliseconds or 10 seconds ?? How will that LEDs be arranged ?? How far do you want to see this display ?? (i.e. brightness )

A multiplexed scheme would work fine if only one LED is lit at a time.

This can be d> I need an array of about 300 small LED's, each about 3-5 mm wide.

Reply to
hamilton

Maxim makes a single IC that can drive 64 LEDs, so you need 5 of these chips.

You send data to the chips over a 2-wire interface, so you don't have to go crazy with cables.

I don't remember the part number, but I have at least 5 of these I can sell you. THey are about $7.00 each if I remember correctly.

You then need to wire up the 300 LEDs.

Reply to
Alan Kilian

Yes, it's a single line of 300 LEDs (actually, I need 6 of these lines, totalling 1800 LEDs). One of these LEDs will be lit for a few seconds ( A bit more information please.

Reply to
<no

Check out Maxim's MAX7219 & '7221 LED drivers

Reply to
Billy Guttery

What city/state/country are you in ???

hamilt> Yes, it's a single line of 300 LEDs (actually, I need 6 of these lines,

Reply to
hamilton

Reply to
hamilton

Serial LED shift register/latches, 3 lines, clock,data,stobe.. easy stuff.. look at allegro or toshiba

Reply to
TheDoc