Programming your Roomba with C# or VB.Net

For those of you that would like to take your Roomba to the next level, I have Developed some code in C# & VB.Net to control your iRobot Roomba
vacuum from your computer.
The core of the code is a C# class that implements the iRobot Software Command Interface. (C# RoombaSCI) I also have 2 projects that use this C# interface, called Roomba-Term, and Roomba Monitor. Roomba Term is intended to be a diagnostic program that visually implements Roomba's SCI interface for purposes of education, & testing your roomba. Hopefully my code will kickstart you forward in developing your own Roomba programs.
Here is a link to irobot documentation http://www.irobot.com/images/consumer/hacker/Roomba_SCI_Spec_Manual.pdf
I have a C# project located here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/roomba-term /
and a VB.Net project that focuses on Sensor stability (talks to the C# class) here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/roomba-monitor /
Next, you probably need some hardware to connect your computer to the Roomba:
you can either buy an RS232, USB or wireless interface: http://www.roombadevtools.com /
or create your own cable: http://flickr.com/photos/todbot/sets/72057594051313379 /
or buy Roomba Add-ons: http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_idh5
of special interest as well: http://todbot.com/blog/category/roomba /
As far as practical use: I suggest using Roomba as a platform to build a robotic arm or something else upon, using: http://mindstorms.lego.com /
Kevin Gabbert
doh! i forgot, you might not have C# handy in which to program you Roomba. Here is a link to the free version of C# to get your programming moving.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualcsharp /
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Awesome!
I am blown away with all the available technology in this growing field that you are sharing with us. I only wish I were fifty years younger so that I could really get my hands into this stuff!
Wayne

Another cool product is the Mind Control. It's a small module that plugs into the Roomba and is C/C++ programmable. The Mind Control has an Atmel AVR processor inside of it. You program it with the open sources WinAVR GCC compiler. It also comes with a USB programmer and good documentation.
Check it out at: http://www.elementdirect.com /
RoboMe