Small ARM board running capable of running Linux

I am looking for small embedded ARM board with ethernet+USB+multiple RS232+general purpose parallel I/O lines+multiple channel ADC+realtime clock and capable of running Linux. (Am I sking too much?) Do you know ARM board with these specs?

Reply to
Don Gravos

The new AT91SAM7X comes close, but no Linux. Other OS's however. See

Regards, Richard.

Richard

Sorry, wrong link. This link shows the Ethernet and the USB on the SAM7X:

Regards, Richard.

Richard

A Gumstix, plus an EtherStix and a Robostix or Audiostix expansion boards would give you everything but the realtime clock. The serial ports are TTL level though, not RS232. The Robostix board has on on-board AVR which provides multiple GPIO and ADC, the Audiostix provides fewer A/D and GPIO but saves you having to write for two platforms (and you get audio - hence the name).

It is small (very small) and runs Linux out of the box.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Auton

embededarm.com - pretty much everything you need. You will need a daughterboard or two.

Reply to
Captain Dondo

In article , Don Gravos writes

Why running Linux? Takes up a lot of room and adds a layer of complexity.

Just program the board most embedded systems don't have an RTOS anyway.

Reply to
Chris Hills

How about the VCMA9?

I've used them, although with Nucleus rather than Linux, and they seem quite good.

Reply to
Dave {Reply Address in.sig}

I like the Gumstix, but they only have USB client.

I just ordered a Linkxys NSLU2. While this would still need something else for ADC and GPIO, it has Ethernet and 2 USB ports. It also has 1.5 serial ports (one of them is read only.

And yes, Linux runs on it.

Jay Newman

Reply to
D. Jay Newman

correct link

Any idea what the IO levels are ?

Found it in the manual

source 4mA sink 8mA not 5v tolerant.

Alex

Reply to
Alex Gibson

You mean uclinux or linux ? How much do you want to spend ?

Usb host or just usb for programming / or usb to serial ?

as others have said.

Otherwise uclinux especially with arm7

Maybe one of the many lpc2xxx based boards

makes a few but not with all the features you want buy from sparkfun.com as can order online without faxing credit card details

this one may meet your requirements when its available

Blackfin stamp US$169

500MHz BF533, 128MB sdram , 4MB flash , 10/100 ethernet but no usb
from digikey

ethernet (could use an edtp.com packet whacker) download gcc port and app notes etc from sharp need a free login for the gcc port
Alex

Reply to
Alex Gibson

Oops, just noticed the USB requirement. Yes, the Gumstix folks are taking their time over sorting USB host. It's in the pipeline allegedly, but I'm not holding my breath.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Auton

Different parts of the board have different IO levels; 8 pins are 3.3V; others are 5V. You will need opto-isolators or similar in the real world (but don't you always?) You can also get daughter boards with 5V DIO.

I have one in hand and am building the power supply as we speak. Nice unit, tiny, but I have a bunch of work to do before I start playing with it - need to build a DIN rail mount for it, etc.

Reply to
Captain Dondo

: CSB637
could do the job with the right motherboard.

Both have Ethernet, USB Host + Client, 2 UARTs (chips got 4) SPI, I2C , GPIO, RTC. No ADC on the mech'brick AFAIK.

Reply to
A. P. Richelieu

There is a growing movement to use one of the wireless routers (like a linksys wrt5x?) which is an arm based Linux with a wireless capability built in. There are also hardware hacks to add serial ports on the web ... and other mods available. This for about $40USD, with power wart, enclosure, antenna and all that ... google is your friend ...

Cheers, Rob.

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005, it was written:

Reply to
spam

"Don Gravos" a écrit dans le message de news:

4326f0ab$0$22099$ snipped-for-privacy@news.optusnet.com.au...

CM-X255 or CM-X270W from Compulab, starting around $50 ? Cf

Robert Lacoste

Do they run Linux?

Reply to
Don Gravos

Yes, but that $50 is a bogus price, it's a few thousand dollars to get set up and the $50 is only for a mini module that requires a baseboard to get any actual functionality.

Reply to
larwe

For full linux

Etrax from Axis

recent chips can run a default 2.6 linux kernel

The ETRAX 100LX Multi Chip Module includes the ETRAX 100LX SoC plus 4 MB Flash, 16 MB SDRAM, Ethernet Transceiver, etc. This chip is ideal for Ethernet-connected Linux systems.

a.. 4 asynchronous serial ports a.. 2 synchronous serial ports a.. 2 USB ports Host 1.1 a.. 2 Parallel ports a.. 4 ATA (IDE) ports a.. 2 Narrow SCSI ports (or 1 Wide)

A nice small board , and its 5V tolerant

Alex

Reply to
Alex Gibson

I had a look at axis a little while back but I couldn't find any info on the MIPS rating. Also I found that the 10/100 Ethernet is slugged to a max

2 (or 2.5) MB/s. Somthing to do with the USB interface.

Regards Sergio Masci

- optimising PIC compiler FREE for personal non-commercial use

.
Reply to
Sergio Masci

"larwe" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

A little correction : they are effectively starting arount $50 in volume orders (1K), see their prices on their web site. These kind of modules are COM, meaninf effectively that they are designed to be fitted, like a component, on your application PCB. So yes a baseboard is needed, but it could be either a standard one (PC104 or ATX, around $30-$40), or your own application PCB.

Friendly, Robert

Reply to
Robert Lacoste