Want To Robotic

Hi Friends, I am a java programmer . I am too much interested in Robotics . But I dont know where to start from . What are the prerequisites for
that. Suggestions required . From where should I start . Thanks In Advance.
I think it is not bad idea to start learning C/C++.

Three things needed to get into robotics 1. Programming 2. Electronics (Circuit design) 3. Mechanics of a robot
best way to go is get a basic pragrammable robot kit and play with it.
Zafar --------------------------------------------------------------------- http://www.vbuniverse.com
Can I learn Circuit Design. If yes how ?
Thankyou in Advance
Badshah wrote:

This site covers basics for robot building http://www.pc-user.co.uk /
For basic circuit design, go to this section http://www.pc-user.co.uk/circuit_diagrams.htm
Zafar ------------------------------------------------------------------- http://www.vbuniverse.com
Thankyou Zafar, but the page http://www.pc-user.co.uk/ or http://www.pc-user.co.uk/circuit_diagrams.htm is not displayed.
Badshah wrote:

Server might be down. I just checked and both links are working fine. Start from here http://www.pc-user.co.uk/electronics.htm
Zafar ------------------------------------------------------ http://www.vbuniverse.com
Ya Its working now there , Thanx

Robotics
prerequisites for

I would recommend the BoeBot from www.Parallaxinc.com They also offer a Java chip version of the Basic Stamp that you could substitute for the regular Stamp at some time.
Also, here are some Java robot kits: http://www.ridgesoft.com/buildingbots.htm
The Lego Mindstorms community has the "Lejos" operating system: http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/Programming/robotic s/
Hope that helps ! JCD
Badshah wrote:

There are a couple of resources for us Java programmers.
I should mention that all the examples and programming in my book, _Linux Robotics_ are in Java. I wanted to name the book _Java Robotics_ but the publishers had that decision.
I went the big route and used a Mini-ITX motherboard running Linux. You don't have to go that far to run Java.
http://www.muvium.com / These chips are PICs running on compiled Java. I truely like these chips. I've used one to run a small robot as the only processor.
http://www.systronix.com / These stamps and such are based on a Java processor and have more memory than the uVM chips. -- D. Jay Newman Author of _Linux Robotics_ http://enerd.ws/robots /
you dont need to know anything everything is bonus let all you know help you in building. Build there in bo need to re design the wheel, build right on top of the old things. knowing programing is a very good step. most microcontrolers can run Java, you may have to change how they see the program by encapsulating the program. The Boe bot is a great kit, I got it a year ago, and have built many other projects since then. Besides, look closely, the kit is in most other project kits. the platform is very usefull and if you want you could probably make that out of tin or an old VCR cover. I just built a dual fotosensitive neuron network with parts I found in my neihborhs trash can.. knowing how every part of everything works is madness. I wanted to send Infrared DTMF signals in one project, to be recieved by a special decoder elsewhere. I could have baught the components from Jameco or mouser, but i just used an old telephone and converted the sound to light. It worked out good too because it was powered from the phone jack. In reality you dont have to buy very much. Most people I know who are into robotics couldnt afford to do it if they baught everything they needed.
Thankyou blicken for the help & keep on giving all your suggestions. I will work based on that . These is my first step in Robotics .