A couple of questions on LEUP

Well, ematches are not squibs and BP in many states is found right at the gun store.

While your at the gun store, pick up a rifle as it's your right to bear arms ;-)

Reply to
AlMax

Ray Dunakin and his buddies claim it is not illegal but merely extra-legal :)

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Start looking on the web. shotgun shells and similar non-shotgun shells are use to power many PAD devices.

heck, they even where used after a fasion to start old style WWII airplane engines.

watch Flight of the Pheonix.

Reply to
AlMax

Their's got to be shooters in them their woods. talk to them about BP pistols , guns, not rockets and you will find out where it's a hide'in around where you are.

Reply to
AlMax

We used to use them to emergency start the power generators on Mt. Wilson in case the power to the television transmitter went out.

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

Interesting homely here. Insurance Industry.

My father was an adjuster (deny the claim) and an insurance investigator (PI).

I got a pool in the backyard. I said to him I was calling the insurance company tomorrow to tell them.

He said don't. I already had liability insurance and would be covered if an accident happened.

He said if I seeked them out and told them, they would raise my rates due to perceived extra risk.

good thing he told me that, as 17 years later I'd still be paying higher rates.

see, on my insurance policy, anything not written as not covered is covered.

I'm not covered for knowingly criminal acts, war, government upheaval and holocausts.

Reply to
AlMax

I thought Jerry was his own consultant. It is hard to find a consultant who tells you exactly what you want to hear.

Reply to
Alan Jones

My dictionary simply says that a squib is a firecracker that burns but does not explode. My common understanding of a squib is that it is an igniter that shoots out a flame or jet of hot gas. A squib could be an excellent sport rocket motor igniter since it does not put solid material int the combustion chamber that must be forced out through the nozzle, possibly blocking it and causing a motor cato. I've never seen a squib with a metal jacket, and I think the number of compositions used has no part in the definition of a squib. The squib igniters that I have seen were simply a small rubber boots containing a "composition" that is open at the top. It is wedged into the divergent portion of the nozzle and fired electrically.

To me, an igniter is an igniter. I'm not sure technically when an igniter is or is not an e-match, etc. I think the terminology has deiffent meaning and connotations to different people. Apparently, "squib" has a connotation to the BATFE that may invite unwarranted investigation, so sport rocketeers should refrain from calling their igniters "squibs". Sport rocket "squibs" should probably be called safety ignition plugs instead.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

Which TV station?

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Hi,

in the blasting industry, a squib has a metal jacket and usually contains a secondary composition.

in large rocket motors, we generally want igniters that inject molten slag into the grains and get them going.

the guys with leups use thermite to do this.

Reply to
AlMax

reloads

somewhere

there's

remote

Hmm, let's see... which of us has a "big fine" due to following his own interpretation of federal regs??

BTW, just out of curiosity, precisely which part of the above post do you object to? Is it the part where I said a rational person would continue business as usual until the lawsuit is settled, before deciding whether or not a LEUP is necessary? Or is it the part where I said that an extremely risk-adverse individual can get a LEUP to cover their butt? Or perhaps you object to my statement that the choice is up to the individual?

=CB=87

Reply to
raydunakin

So would I, Bob. I'd also like to have my dog excrete solid gold nuggets instead of poop. Both scenarios are equally likely to happen.

=EF=A3=BF

Reply to
raydunakin

Bull. I've never said that, and you know it. What I have said is that the law is set up so that the regulating authority has the power to interpret the regs as they see fit, and that the only legal way to stop them when they are wrong is through the courts. As you well know, I'm not the only one who has said this. Looks like you need another reminder:

"Unfortunately, our system of laws is set up so that an agency's own interpretation of its regulations is valid unless you show it to be otherwise. You do that by convincing a court that the agency's interpretation is arbitrary, capricious or without authority." -- Harold Gilliam, Skylighter Inc.

raydunakin

And in the film industry, squibs explode and are used to produce the effect of "bullet hits", etc.

raydunakin

You just love to fixate on a single DOT event from 2001 (which required a narc to motivate), yet you "link" that to my position on ATF (an entirely different agency) even though it is 100% consistent with the lawsuit.

Hmmm.

You --are-- a troll.

Or maybe the dog that squirted the golden poop and then reverted back to "normal".

Just as you were testing it using your teeth.

One cannot "comply" by getting a permit for an exempt item.

One can waste their time, but not comply.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I ran into that when I put a $2000 nakamichi stereo system in my car. I told them $15000 car and $2000 stereo. 6 months later they cancelled my policy. But reinstated it if I put in an alarm, which I'd have done in the first place if they told me then.

Next time I told them $20K instead of $18K + $2K. No problems.

You're probably not covereed for Y2K either. It's still in most policies.

Bob Kaplow

Nope. Thermite is easilly made on your own, no LEUP needed. Thermalite is what is used for ignitors, if you can still find the stuff.

Bob Kaplow

Ha...Ha....Ha....Ha..... ROTFLMAO!!! Brought back memories of a friend, who will remain nameless.......He's a bit on the crazy side! (Aren't we all???)

(You had to be there story)

For New Yrs Eve 2000 we rocked up at his house for a few pre-dinner drinks. Anyways......After a few I needed to use the toilet...........I went into the bathroom and he had the tub chocka block and over-flowing with refilled water bottles.....thinking that it was strange, I also noticed that every electrical appliance in the house was unplugged.

When asked about this his reply was, "It's my Y2K emergency plan". He had the water incase of pumping station shutdown causing a mass sell out in supermarkets. The electrical appliances were unplugged for obvious reasons.....He said that I should have known that!!! And he was dead set serious!!!

Reply to
CJC

required

It shows your lack of credibility when it comes to the correct method for dealing with a federal agency.

All federal agencies have the same thing in common: They have the power to interpret the regs as they see fit, unless and until a judge tells them they are wrong.

Your consistency with the lawsuit is not at issue. Your grasp of reality and the truth are the problem. You seem to think that you can make ATF's anti-rocketry policies go away by pretending they don't exist. You seem to think you can claim "victory" in a lawsuit that hasn't been concluded and has produced contradictory rulings. You seem to think you can pick out the parts of reality that you like, and reject the parts you don't.

Depends on what you're trying to comply with. In this case, the Nervous Nelly who insists on getting a LEUP to cover his butt is complying with the ATF's current policy. Whether or not that is a waste of time is irrelevant to such individuals -- to them, the only thing that matters is covering their butts.

Reply to
raydunakin

Confession......I bought a generator prior to y2k.

Logic being better to have a generator and not need it than to need a generator and not have one.

At least my neighbor gets good use out of it.

Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75

Reply to
the notorious t-e-d