AHPRA Bowling Ball Loft, LDRS 2004

Hey Bob ,

Have you ever flown a K motor ?

JD

JDcluster

Since a "B" egglofter puts that about 100 - 150 feet off the ground, the 64 pound "K" motor with 4 balls will be about 100-150 feet off the ground at apogee if you simply did a scale on those figures ?

Humm... I don't know if Mylar can open fast enough for 64lbs at 150 feet, he he.

/ArtU

eying my six grain pro54 all over again.

ArtU

How about bowling ball streamer duration? ;O)

Or parachute duration, but I wouldn't want to be the one whose entry gets lost in a thermal.....

Reply to
BB

Sounds like a good alternative. Of course, you could get chased off for not having a proper permit or for loitering.

Phil

Phil Stein

Reply to
Phil Stein

You'd also need one of Vulcan's K7000s.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Binford

Even I don't have one of those! Can you say GAP?

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Not that I'm an expert on the subject - although if enough of you PO me enuff I will be... It would seem to me that LDRS (like any other major event) draws more flyers - and thus more risk - thus more insurance coverage.

In a nutshell David... it's the difference bewteen say 50 flyers (at a local launch) VS 600 flyers at an LDRS. Would you care to guess which has the greater risk?

As far as restrictions.. no... "YOU" as the flyer carry about the same amount as risk at a local launch as at an LDRS (or for those NAR flyers - NSL, NARAM).

Fact is - THE FLYER carries the MOST risk... NAR/TRA insurance is what is classified as "secondary" insurance which only kicks in after your own "homeowners" pays out...

So... the question - David - should be - what legal protection does a TRA prefecture/ NAR section provide anybody?

Doug BRSInc. - VP

Reply to
Rocketweb

Actually I could be accused of hitting the Labatt Blue (a excelent Canadian brewed beer) early... then again I could be accused of that most weeknds. ;)

Like I've said before - I'll make sure there are cases of Labatt's & Molsen's in the LDRS 23 suite. :)

Doug BRS Inc. - VP

Reply to
Rocketweb

Can you quote "fact" on that?

Reply to
Rocketweb

Hey Bob... JFYI...A)I have been to NARAM's (yawn) B)You may have been around for awhile, but there are some of us (TRA dudes) that 1)are NAR members and are quite aware what a NARAM or NSL is 2)Have been involved with running (2) NSL's (1997 & 2000) .... and you know what? You can take all your NARAM paperwork etc and the complications... and it won't compare with running an LDRS!

If you care to debate history - I can give my side of NORROC->TWNY->BRS and our influence on MARS, HP, NAR and the NSL... Not to mention TRA contributions. In reality - paperwork does not have a direct relation to "cost of holding" a launch.

And your purpose (as a NON TRA member) in this topic is...?

Doug Caskey BRS Inc. - VP Prefecture #85 NAR Section#590

Reply to
Rocketweb

That seems to be an approximation based on I believe only 2 public posts from your ferless leader whom I am looking forward to meeting and greeting.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

The real question becomes why does the baseline coverage not include it and how is the 2nd and 3rd biggest launches covered if LDRS is not? It is yet another artifact of the name itself?

TRA claims the opposite unless that changed TODAY. Maybe it is time for a TRA insurance summary update, now that you mention it.

The public seemed to receive its last update only shortly before it expired!

None. That is the job of the launch rules, any insurance coverage(s), and of course any waivers or physical provisions.

It would help if they readopted the rules that worked successfully for

30 years before TRA abandoned them in favor of long lines, modal impact point spectator areas and various other eccentricities unique to TRA.

Jerry

TRA012

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

If that were true, the insurance company would have some additional fee for "launches with more than 100 participants" or something like that. There is no such clause. None of the LDRS insurance money goes to the insurance company. It goes to TRA HQ in Orem.

The #1 reason for the insurance is to cover the land owner. It's very unlikely that we'd be able to get any flying sites without the insurance, unless a club member actually owned the land.

It's unlikely that a club is going to get sued anyway. With a few hundred to a few thousand in assets, its just not worth the effort.

The #2 reason for the insurance is that some of us don't have other insurance, some of us have homowners/renters insurance that doesn't cover rockets, and the rest of us may not have enough coverage to handle a large claim.

I'm perfectly happy with the individual coverage being secondary. I don't need to pay for double coverage, and would prefer the backup to increase my overall coverage. With both being primary, you'd actually have LESS coverage in a major claim!

Bob Kaplow

These are the numbers that were told to me by a vendor that inquired about a space at LDRS.

In addition Lloyd Wood, BRS Secretary and LDRS Launch Director/RSO made this statement further up in the thread:

"Vendor space is somewhat limited and a few spots are better than others. The $500 cash fee is for the best spots and came about because we had a couple of vendors tell us that they would be willing to pay that much to get a reserved spot AND a prime location. We will see.The rest are on a first come and space available basis. The $400 and $1000 (list prices) in alternate, material donations are based on a somewhat standard markup of %50. "

It's not physical proof, but I would think the Secretary of the club hosting it would know.

-- Drake "Doc" Damerau

NEPRA President NAR Section 614 NAR 79986 L3
Remove "My Shorts" to reply

Reply to
Doc

That would be the Tripoli way.