Alpha 40 South Dakota Launch

At long last, the 40th Anniversary Alphas have reached the Dakotas! Today, three of us from the Fargo-Moorhead Area Rocket Society (F-MARS)
took the rockets on a road trip to South Dakota. It's only about 70 miles south of Fargo, and since no flier could be found for the state, I offered to do it. Kevin Rezac, Mike Maurer, and I were the fliers
After crossing the ND/SD border (yes, they really are two separate states!), we started searching for a suitable field to launch in extreme northeast South Dakota, right by the junction of Minnesota and the Dakotas. A solid week of steady rains didn't make this easy. The fields were either already planted or too muddy. The public lands along the MN/SD border were mostly full of water and geese. We ended up just north of Rosholt, SD, a tiny town of about 500 people 10 miles into the state.
Today was the first time we'd seen the sun in over a week, but it was mostly cloudy by the time we found a decent spot with winds out of the north around 10 mph. We set up the pad, and launched a test rocket on a Quest A6-4. It landed on the gravel road we were on, so we tilted the pad a little to the side to make sure the Alphas landed in the soft dirt.
The Classic Alpha went first, and the boost with the A8-3 was straight up despite the wind. It landed safely in the field about 40 feet south of us.
Next was the Modern Alpha. It flew a little higher, still going straight up, landing about 60 feet away.
After taking pictures and packing up, we stopped in Rosholt to pick up a suitable postcard for the box. We found one with a nice aerial view of the town.
Once I get a chance later this week, I'll post the pictures on a website. For now, stay tuned for the North Dakota launch, coming soon.
Paul Seifert NAR #77554
Thank you for taking care of SD. I and others from the west end of the state had planned to but alas I had to move to NE via IA and the others have lost interest, divorced, moved, etc. So it is a good thing NoDaks can pick up the slack for the SoDaks.

After the Dakota's, we got the fliers for NE and IA, and then only one state left - Hawaii!
We can't find a flier for Hawaii, so if you know of anyone, have them contact the website at alpha40.usandthem.com. It would be a shame to only get 49 out of 50.

AZ Woody wrote:

I'm sure you'll get lots of volunteers...
"Honey, guess what? I volunteered to launch a couple of rockets, but we'll have to go to Hawaii to do it!!!"
David Erbas-White
David I tried that it didn't work here either.

Ok.. I got an idea.. What about a fundraising cause to send the alpha40 webmaster to Hawaii. He's single, so there's no extra funds required to transport the wife and kids. He'll fly on the cheapest tickets and stay at a low cost hotel (or simply just pass out on the beach). He only asks that there's a Baywatch Babe there to push his buttons! (for the launch that is!)
I'll set up a paypal link from the site, and post all picture upon return (that are PG-13)
- the alpha40 webmaster (oh.. did I just say that?) :-)

only
Somebody from HI posted here recently looking for a club. Maybe he could help. Sorry I don't remember who it was.

nitram578 wrote:

We NoDaks seem to do that a lot... ;-)
No problem though. Like I mentioned, it's not that far, and it would have been silly for us not to and miss a state.
We did the North Dakota launch today. I'll get a more formal report up sometime tomorrow. We had a great flying day!
Paul