Ammonium Perchlorate Composite Propellant

Does anyone know any good APCP propellant mixtures that can be measured by volume, not mass?

Reply to
therocketflyer

This is the sort of question that scares me about TRA "popularizing" so-called EX.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Actually,

I bought the propellant manual by John Wickman from C.P. Technologies. I am amazed as to how propellant science has been broken down mathematically. I am reading the manual to get insight to the commercial engines and really don't have the time or inclination to cast grains myself. I suspect if one is very careful they could have success with making their own engines. The key here is caution. If an average joe is careless they could get into trouble. One thing I did note in the manual was it was considered a bit safer to use ammonium nitrate as a fuel as opposed to ammonium perchlorate. The AP is a bit more volatile when mixing but is, as everyone knows, a more powerful propellant than AN. If I lived closer to Casper, I'd like to take the course on propellant mixing, C.P. Technologies offers just to have the experience of having done it in a controlled environment and under the watchful eye of a trained individual. I wouldn't want to do it otherwise as I don't have the time. Cheaper for me to buy ready-made if I consider the time factors. :)

Kurt Savegnago

Reply to
Kurt

Better to have people asking questions than experimenting in ignorance.

BTW, if the ATF wins in court, amateur motor making will become a lot more popular. On the other hand, if CPSC gets their way, it'll kill off EX/Am much more effectively than all the "basement bomber" hysteria ever could.

=80

Reply to
raydunakin

"There's nothing to apologize for. Apparently you are STILL incapable of understanding the difference between making a statement of fact, and the listing of possible scenarios."

- Ray Dunakin 5-10-05, ultimate TRA apologist

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Densities in ingerdients can vary. One teaspoon of aluminum powder is not equal in mass to one teaspoon of Ammonium Perchlorate. In fact, the mass of one teaspoon of Aluminum can very depending on the source of the chemical and the amount of impurities present.

The above is oversimplified. One needs to look back at a high school chemistry course to really appreciate how a propellant reaction works on the molecular level and why measurements by volume can really wreak havoc with the stoichiometry.

But really, is it that much trouble to go to ebay and buy an electronic balance that can measure to 0.1 gram? I got a 2600 gram capacity one for $70 and it is as accurate as the $250 balance we have in my high school lab.

Reply to
Brian/Joseph McDermott

Stupid question, but is there any particular scale that one would prefer to use for rocketry work at the .1 gram accuracy level? Any brand/scale to avoid?

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

In rereading my message, I realize that I didn't really make my point clear.

It is almost never appropriate to use volumetric measurements when making propellant. It won't work and your results will inconsistant. Always measure ingredients by mass.

Brian McDermott

Brian/Joseph McDermott

I use a cheapo (~$100) Ohaus triple beam balance.

I plan to get an electronic one one of these days because I'd really like a tare function. Like someone said - ebay.

Reply to
Phil Stein

Get a life.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

jerry, you can't buy a life on Ebay, I'm sure you've checked, but have you tried the 99 cent store? They're much more likely to have something in your price range. Who cares if they're slightly irregular, they're cheap, you can buy several.

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

He asked a question. DO you have anything constructive to share?

Reply to
Phil Stein

Get a life.

Why would you even reply to this unless you have NO LIFE.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Reality check: failed.

Reality check: failed.

Buy in bulk and save.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

jerry, What does Phil's reply to David's question about scales have to do with the fact that you have no life? Do you have a problem with David's question? Do you have a problem with using scales with tare functions?

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

Ohaus is not "cheapo". If they are currently $100, then thye haven't gone up much in the 2 decades I've had mine. A VERY good lifetime investment. Recommended by the New Astron Workshop!

Bob Kaplow

You have no life too.

I have personal observation to verify that.

Jerry

Your former partner.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Yes, I know. I have a fraud judgment against you.

When are you going to pay me?

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

ray; I think the current CPSC actions per the fireworks industry are just a prelude to similar actions in the immediate future per AR/EX....

shockie B)

Jerry Irv> This is the sort of question that scares me about TRA "popularizing" > so-called EX.

Better to have people asking questions than experimenting in ignorance.

BTW, if the ATF wins in court, amateur motor making will become a lot more popular. On the other hand, if CPSC gets their way, it'll kill off EX/Am much more effectively than all the "basement bomber" hysteria ever could.

?
Reply to
shockwaveriderz

david:

heres a place you might look.

I hve one of their mx-200 .1 g scales and love it.

shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz