Caution on Hypertech M motors

If you buy a Hypertech M motor system, remove the brass Kline valve and be sure the factory installed the Kline valve seat O-Ring. They do not
provide a spare for this O-Ring as it is factory installed and rarely needs replacement.
A flier at the Tripoli Minnesota launch on Saturday attempted a level 3 cert using a brand new Hypertech M motor. Upon hitting the fire button, the fill stem dropped and the grain shattered. A hole was blown in the side of the booster when this happened.
The flier completely disassembled the motor at home. He found the O-Ring was missing. The missing O-Ring created a small nitrous leak during the fill that froze the grain. The frozen grain then shattered when fires.
I had personally inspected for missing O-Rings before motor assembley, but I didn't remove the Kline vavle as that O-Ring is supposed to be factory installed and doesn't go missing.
Anthony Cesaroni has already replied to the flier's email and will be saending two new grains plus O-Rings.
Brian Elfert
Brian Elfert wrote:

I would disagree that it rarely needs replacement; when we discovered mine was missing, that motor had only been fired a few times -- can't recall if it was 2 or 3.
Your point of checking for o-rings is a good one, though. Never assume they're there, and ALWAYS have spares. o-rings are cheap; much cheaper than the gas you burn getting to a launch, only to find you can't fly because you didn't bring a spare o-ring.
-Kevin

Different O-Ring than the one you were missing. You were missing the regular Kine valve O-Ring. The regular Kline valve O-Ring only lasts a flight or two. This motor was missing the Kline valve seat O-Ring.
You have to unscrew the Kline valve to get to this O-Ring. When I inspected the motor before launch I didn't bother to unscrew the Kline valve as there was no reason to suspect the OO-Ring would be missing, especially on a new motor.
Brian Elfert
Brian Elfert wrote:

Thanks; I didn't realize there was another o-ring under there.
I'll admit, I'm not surprised by Anthony's response -- I've yet to find anyone who wasn't very pleased by his response to any issues.
-Kevin

The only company with better customer service than Cesaroni is Rolls Royce.
Jerry

Jerry - wipe your face!

Fuck you.
The truth hurts.
You.
Jerry
Jerry Irvine wrote:

What "truth" would that be? And why would it hurt Phil?

It doesn't hurt me. In fact, I think I was one of the first ones on rmr that said Cesaroni stuff was good. Now wipe your face. 8-)

Enough to post incessently to rmr.
Especially "wipe your face!"
Jerry
"That is the precise goal of the trolls (Wallace, Dunakin, "Grayvis", Stein, etc). To spew shit, hope it sticks and to hell with the collateral damage." - Jerry Irvine
"That is absolute bs & shouldn't happen (except to maybe a few people that we know.)"

Come on Jerry - you left out my favorite one.

THIS is what you post to a ROCKET newsgroup.
Jerry
Jerry Irvine wrote:

Yep, he posts direct quotes of you. Of course, he leaves out your various expletives.

Huh?
Jerry Irvine wrote:

You added a new level of low within the past 24 hours, with your post of "May I have head now?"
Of course, when he quoted you with
> Weren't expecting a real answer, were you?? > > Want to wack off now?
Your immediate response was to make accusations towards Phil regarding what he posts to rocket newsgroups. Too bad it's just yet another example of your hypocritical behavior.

Igniter head. Rockethead Casing head
I love head!

Of course.
On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 17:10:05 -0500, Kevin Trojanowski

Jerry has this thing that he has to have respond to everything. Even to the point where he'll post a followup message with nothing typed into it or just say point or whatever. My point is that Jerry is the primary cause and provider of the low s/n ratio here. I'm glad he doesn't always do it.
Jerry take your meds!!!

That's pith.
Jerry Irvine wrote:

Um Jerry, you posted that.
What's yer preferred poison?? I'm betting rum-n-coke :)
Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75

NO actually it is what you posted. Here's the whole message with header - (Direct from the Jerry FAQs.)
Newsgroups: rec.models.rockets Subject: Re: TRIPOLI Cert Question Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 22:27:45 -0700 Organization: Box 1242, Claremont, CA 91711

NFPA-1127
They are non-compliant in sufficient states a **NATIONAL** marketing campaign is impractical.