Nitro Models P-81 Twin Hull Mustang

Has anyone out there seen one of these or built one? They have been out of stock for a long time and are now available but I have no experience with Nitro modles. Thoughts? Comments? Thanks,

Ted

Reply to
Ted

I've bought and flown both a piper cub and a long ez and they were great, and a really good quality too.

Reply to
Daniel Krier

I had a couple of OS70's on the shelf and was going back and fort

between the Nitromodels one and the World's. I wish I had gone with th latter, unfortunately the price and the olive drab paint scheme won m over.

The reasons for regretting my decision are varied.

-The fit and assembly of the parts are first rate, I'd even say it wa better than some of the World's current ARF's, however the fuselage ha been lightened considerably, and is somewhat similar to 3D plan construction. Felt a need to re-inforce the firewall area because o this, while the World's use their stronger fuse from the 40 sized P51.

-The covering looks nice from the factory, but do watch out if you lik to seal the edges and or need to remove wrinkles. The stuff has a extremely low shrink point, and some of my invasion stripes are no crooked because of this. Additionally, the top clear layer is much to easily separated from the color one. I found this out too late, an would have recovered everything had I known from the start.

-Landing gear is extremely flimsy. The wire is soft and the point wher it mates with the plastic is extremely loose.

-One needs to install blind nuts for the engine mounts, bend an assemble the tailgear hardware, install retracts and the retract wells No problems here really but it is obvious these are areas where cost where cut. World's typically have the blind nuts and retracts done Blind nuts were difficult to install because of the tight space.

-Balsa used on the vertical stabs are extremely soft and considerin ways to re-inforce.

-Screws for horizontal stab thread into wood. Since I need to brea down the plane to fit in my car, I installed blind nuts. I now have t buy a roll of covering to finish this assembly.

-Wires for pushrods are extremely hard and break consistently, i z-bends are not possible with what is supplied. Also replaced th supplied horns with those made by Worlds.

-This is my second Nitromodel plane. About a 2 months ago I bought Yak which was missing 2 hinges. Since they were of a non-standard siz and thickness, I requested replacements. They unfortunately sent me C hinges. My second and third requests for the right ones have bee ignored. I wonder what would have happened if it where a major part?

I have yet to fly the plane but otherwise it does seem airworthy. would say go for it if you are feeling lucky, or need to save a fe buck

-- sfsjki

this thread:

sfsjkid