AP can detonate despite what all of us think.

A footnote that I should have added to reduce some possible confusion on card gap testing. The card gap test I described is an old one we used at Aerojet over 30 years ago. Current procedure is to use an explosive charge to generate a known pressure wave propagating through a gap filled with cards or just a gap of so many card thicknesses between the explosive and sample. I believe more sophisticated methods are being developed to just provide known shock pressure. The method of testing does not change the message above.

John Wickman

Reply to
John Wickman

So now you're saying I have to take the nitroglycerin out of my apcp? Where will all this end? ;-)

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

Oy. Or is it oi?

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

Well, you could put it in the ejection charge. Just watch out for lawn darts. ;-)

John

Reply to
John Wickman

The demonstrated zero card DDT length for classical APCP is as low as 9 centimeters but as high as 100. Devenais references SNPE tests if you need to look it up. The DOD recently asked DOT to conduct wide area card gap testing on any APCP motor over 6" in diameter.

Anthony J. Cesaroni President/CEO Cesaroni Technology/Cesaroni Aerospace

360-3100 x101 Sarasota (905) 887-2370 x222 Toronto

Reply to
Anthony Cesaroni

John is refering to PEG/NG (polyethylene glycol) cross-linked, double base propellant. NEPE-75 is a common trade name. It's origins go back to the 70's and even before.

Anthony J. Cesaroni President/CEO Cesaroni Technology/Cesaroni Aerospace

360-3100 x101 Sarasota (905) 887-2370 x222 Toronto

Reply to
Anthony Cesaroni

Hello again KT,

I had a discussion with someone who really knows their stuff and in actuality you do have a point but it is limited. Don't flame me folks but I've been told that there are some very energetic grades of APCP that the MILITARY uses that under the right conditions can be made to detonate. I've also been told that no hobby vendor or Ex'er for that matter can or would be able to safely go there. The additives that are used are close to unobtainium and making the stuff is downright very dangerous. It has been duly documented that our usual grades of APCP one can buy or make cannot detonate and we still have grounds to press for relief through the courts. Donate through either Tripoli or NAR please. A casual modeler shouldn't have to jump through a bunch of hoops to keep a few K grains or whatever around.

Kurt

Reply to
Kurt

Anthony

You're giving away all the secrets. But the education is well worth it. ;-)

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

I seem to recall some old Aerojet AP/PBAN formulations that could not be made to detonate at even 60 inches, which would be well beyond 100 centimeters. I guess that would be about 152 centimeters. (I'm not a metric guy.) The data might be in the DTIC database.

John

Anth> The demonstrated zero card DDT length for classical APCP is as low as 9

Reply to
John Wickman

Detonation and failure of the motor casing are two very different things.

I can overpressurize a tank with steam and have it catastr> I keep seeing posts that say APCP can not detonate. Well you're all wrong.

Reply to
dave.harper

Anthony

Thanks for the tip, here's my last go at that 'contaminated' apcp.....

perhaps I'll now have regular lawn darts. ;-)

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Rudy