BAR in need of help - Home Depot cellulose ejection wadding?

Hi All,

It's been quite a while since I've done anything with my rockets. A little over two years in fact due in part to moving and not having time to unpack my stuff. I recently took my neighbor's son to the Battlepark launch in Culpeper, VA and his interest has resparked my own. I've unpacked all of my rockets and supplies and I'm going to take him to launch some of his rockets and some of mine this weekend.

Now, I'm looking for the wadding material that people have reported using that comes in a bag from Home Depot. I remember that it is some cellulose substance that is biodegradable but I don't know what the product is exactly or what section I should look in for it. Is Lowe's a better source? What is the original intent for using this product? Any help would be appreciated.

Also, I need to get a replacement launch rod for my Mantis launch pad. The one I had must not have made it in the move or has been put somewhere by someone who doesn't know what it is. Anyway, what are the dimensions of the original rod that came with the launch pad and any suggestions on replacements?

Thanks in advance,

Joel snipped-for-privacy@fabmac.com remove"NOSPAM" to reply

Reply to
Joel Ransbottom

Home Depot only carries it in some areas of the USA. It is Cocoon Brand Cellulose ("blown") insulation. We could not get it in the Los Angeles area until Lowes opened up stores, and even now they only carry it at some select stores (probably catering to the contractor crowd).

Reply to
Fred Shecter

Off topic, but what reason do they not want blown insulation in LA ?

almax

I never said they didn't want it. Our Home Depot stores did not carry it anywhere in the region. Then Lowes showed up and some of their larger locations did carry it.

It's like Firto Lay products. Costco used to carry F-L WOW Nacho Cheese Doritos in large bags as well as WOW Tostitos. First the WOW Doritos disappeared and the excuse was they had to drop them for faster selling items. Then the Tostitos disappeared. I asked a F-L dude who was restocking a supermarket what happened to the WOW chips. He said their local factories dropped them and they only make the Doritos in other regions of the USA. We can still get small bags of WOW Ruffles and plain WOW Lays but nothing with any flavor added. I used to find WOW BBQ Lays, but those have even disappeared.

Can we blame this on the Atkins zealots?

Reply to
Fred Shecter

You'll probably have better luck at a Lowes. It's in the insulation department, and is known as blow insulation. As for a replacement rod for the mantis, just go to the metals isle of Lowe's, or Home Depot, and pick up a 1/4" steel rod, in what ever length you want. I think the original was 5 ft, but I'd recommend a 6 ft rod. David

Reply to
Dlogan

disappeared.

no, that point is the wow chips were/are causing law suits.

have a 16-20 year old girl eat nothing but wow chips for two-three days and she will get hospitalized.

A full large bag off wow chips can cause real problems in the human body.

A full large bag of real chips cause weight gain.

Reply to
almax

Eat enough of anything[1] and it'll cause weight gain [1] OK, maybe not _absolutely_ anything!

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn

Yes, but wow chips are not real. they contain a fat free ingredient to keep weight gain from happening. funny thing is, other things happen.

it was found they are perfectly fine in small quanities.

in large quanities, things happened.

Reply to
almax

Anyone who eats nothing but chips (real or "wow") for 2-3 days should not be blaming the company that made the chips. They should be seeking psychiatric help. Not that this logical fact has ever been a factor in the legal system. :(

Reply to
RayDunakin

Come on, say it! Anal leakage.

Proven false.

WOW uses a fat substitute - it's actually a fat that is too complex to be absorbed by your trusty large intestine. .

I just went to the store and they still sell the two specific products I mentioned. The other products were not dropped because of lawsuits. They were dropped because Frito Lay wants the highest selling products on the limited shelf space they can get in the stores. Just like you can't find D12-0 or D12-7 motors in Michael's.

GOLLY! Look what they still sell!!

LAY'S® brand WOW!® brand Original Potato Chips LAY'S® brand WOW!® brand Mesquite BBQ Flavored Potato Chips LAY'S® brand WOW!® brand Sour Cream and Onion Artificially Flavored Potato Chips RUFFLES® brand WOW!® brand Original Potato Chips RUFFLES® brand WOW!® brand Cheddar and Sour Cream Flavor Potato Chips DORITOS® brand WOW!® brand NACHO CHEESIER® Flavor Tortilla Chips TOSTITOS® brand WOW!® brand Restaurant Style Tortilla Chips

Reply to
Fred Shecter

Incorrect. The Mantis has a 2 piece aluminum rod that is 1/4 " diameter and a bit over 4 feet long. It also loses about 9 inches of that rod inside the rod-retention and angle adjustment area (and the tall deflector).

You should use a 6 foot long steel rod (cold rolled or stainless) and also have something to stake the legs to the ground with. Either large rocks or bricks or water filled jugs or you can hammer stakes into the ground (tent stakes or cut wire coat hangers and use the U shaped parts).

The Mantis does "The Mantis Dance" (tm) and if you launch anything really big, like a Sumo or G-Force it will twang and dance and the rocket will go in whatever direction the rod is pointing at the instant the rocket leaves the rod - and with the pad dancing and the rod whipping there's no telling what direction that will be.

One person who launches with us has affixed cross members between the legs to add stability and weight. It really helps.

Reply to
Fred Shecter

The intestines try to secede from the body...and leave through the only available opening.

+McG+
Reply to
Kenneth C. McGoffin

When I was a kid, I once got hold of a bag of prunes, and thought they were quite tasty. So, I proceeded to pig out until I was full.

I didn't stay full for very long. ;-)

Can I sue God for inventing the prune?

Reply to
Vince

It may not be a requirement in the building codes. I've heard of brand new expensive homes in so cal that don't have an ounce of insulation.

Mike F.

Reply to
Mfreptiles

I doubt that.

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

Who doubts that?

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Anal leakage......hmmmm, not exactly cool sounding. I suppose this leakage would lead to skids? Or worse, the dreaded "mud butt'? I'll take regular fat in small doses please and leave the rectal juicing to others.

Reply to
Reece Talley

It's not nice to try to fool mother nature! Sounds like the synthetic non-fattening fat might be more useful as a medical lubricant than as a food ingredient.

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

Or, wheel bearing grease.

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

I wonder how well (or under what conditions) it would actually work for that...

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker