Best "fat" rocket for L2 certification

I'm interested in opinions on the best "fat" rocket (>4") for L2 certification, i.e., regular J/K flights. I looked at the LOC Warlock but was unimpressed by its not quite "through fin" design.

Thoughts?

-Tim

Reply to
TJD

Modify a Warloc to have through the wall to a 5.5" tube inside?

Parts:

2 CR-motor mount tube-5.5 1 BT-5.5-8"

Just Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Magnum for 5.5 Bruiser for 7.5

Why doesn't Loc use the Bruiser fins for the Warloc? Aren't they the same shape? And a 54mm mount. If the EZI gets a 54, the Warloc should also come that way.

My 2 cents.

Reply to
Kurt Kesler

BSD 5.5" Diablo

Stephen Corban

Stephen,

I like it! I'll investigate further... Thanks.

-Tim

Reply to
TJD

the fin designs of the I-roc and Warlock are just as good as to the motor tube. they are fileted to dowels on the inside of the main tube.

My 1991 I-Roc continues to rock and BTW, does great level 2s on 5 and 6 grain CTI Js.

Reply to
almax

Tim, I believe the Warlock will still work well for you provided you make a few minor modifications. Check out my article review on this kit in the Nov.-Dec. Sport Rocketry magazine. I internally reinforced the fins with epoxy and nylon cloth available from a local hobby store. You can also check this out on my web site at modrocket.itgo.com under "projects."

Joe A. South Louisiana Rocketry #8

Reply to
MODROCKET

Tim The LOC Warloc is a great rocket! It needs to be modified some, however:-). Put a 54mm mount in it and cut new fins to go to the motor tube. Built this way, it should weigh around 9 lbs and fly real well on anything from a J-350 to a K-550. If you want to go a little more crazy..... use 2 layers of 6 oz cloth, .200 G-10 fins (to the motor tube, of course:-) and a 4 in. mount! Should weigh around 16 lbs and fly all the way to an L-952. Better yet.......build one of each:-)! Use the "stock" one for higher wind flights and the "Heavy" one for crazy stuff like 4 inch motors and 2 or 3, 38mm clusters. Also, when you get ready..... build a 30" payload section and an altimeter bay and you'll have a simple dual deployment "Brusier." I've got one of each. 27 flights and a Level ll Cert. on the "stock" one and 7 on the "heavy" one. This summer I'll try for a 3, J-350 cluster (again!:-) and a K-458. Maybe even an L, with the payload section. Hope this helps.

Lloyd Wood BRS Secretary LDRS LD/RSO Level lll

Reply to
Actionxprs

Joe,

Yes, I saw a version of your review (somewhere?) as I was browsing the web. Pictures on your site really make it "come alive". I noted your technique of glassing the inside of the tube, just wasn't familiar with the technique and how robust the outcome.

-Tim

Reply to
TJD

Lloyd,

Excellent input! Version #1 of below ("stock") is what I was thinking of doing. But before buying birch and cutting fins, I thought I'd see if there were other options on kits that had already taken all this into account in their design.

-Tim

Reply to
TJD

My box stock Warlok eats J350's alive!

-- Bruce Kirchner TRA L2 #5888 Michigan Team 1 High Power Rocketry Proud Gun Owner!

Reply to
Bruce Kirchner

LOC MINNIE MAG with the extra 18" payload bay extension / upgrade to a 54mm mount and extend the fins to the MMT...

I have sold a few.. and they make great L2 kits.... I have seen one fly 2X on an AMW K950.... BIG time quick for a 5.5" dia kit that can be had for under 100.00 as built.....50 bucks+ less than the Warlock and it can fly on smaller motors too for economy....

Will fly great on I211 to K950 [ 54x38 adapter needed for the I211..... ]

Bobby B

bobbyb

Got Ignition? So should I bring the camera again?

Al

Reply to
Al Sterner

Reply to
Bruce Kirchner

Anyone ever build 1 to fly it with 7 J350 in it?

JD

Reply to
JDcluster