book ripoff

There is a certain company who I shall not name that is selling a book titled:
MIL-HDBK-762, DESIGN OF AERODYNAMICALLY STABILIZED FREE ROCKETS
some poor sucker is paying $49 for this in a rocketonline.com auction..
its available FREE Online here as a pdf:
http://combatindex.com/mil_docs/pdf/Hopper/MIL-HDBK/CI-762-MH-4995-1033.pdf
by the way..its an excellent book
shockie B)

Thanks for the info and pdf. Nonr of us should pay a price for knowledge and resources that is unreasonable. I always priced my software and documentation so anyone could afford it. That ROL went along with this is disappointing. Lets hope they can pressure the source.
shockwaveriderz wrote:

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 20:05:18 GMT, "shockwaveriderz"

Is it a real "book"... ya know, like with paper pages, and covers?
That alone sometimes is worth the price if you're collecting..
Tod "Have the PDF somewhere on my network" Hilty
--
Tod A. Hilty
Hilty Information Systems
shockwaveriderz wrote:

"mr. expert hacker" ? I have no idea what that is supposed to mean ..
I can print that .pdf on my printer at 1200 dpi double sided on 25 pieces of paper... take a hole puncher, and throw it a binder for $5.00......
shockie B)

shockwaveriderz wrote:

716 pages on 25 sheets? By my calculations that's fourteen+ document pages per side of paper. I'd have to use a magnifying glass to read that! My eyes aren't what they used to be, but even when they were I probably couldn't have read it. ;)
Mark E. Hamilton NAR #48641-SR ARSA #418
oops my bad... 716/2 = 358 double sided pages is what I meant to say.... still a pack of printer paper with a ream of 500 sheets costs < $10...
shockie B)

costs like about 3 dollars here for a 500 sheet of A4 paper...
-- TAI FU http://creationism.dyndns.org /
If you also take into account how much it costs to run your printer (ink and toner are actually most of the cost of a printout, not paper) and how much time it takes to do all that, compare it to what your time is worth (that's up to you), and what the reduced quality of a ring binder vs cloth- or perfect-binding is worth to you ---- unless you cook fries for a living, a real copy of a book sounds pretty good to me.
Roy nar12605

His time is worth nothing, or less, and he sees conspiracy everywhere and rushes to post it to rmr.

Jerry Irvine wrote:

That's seems vaguely familiar, oh wait, that's right, it was you.
jerry, you have described yourself to a tee.

That should be in the FAQs! 8-)
Poor Shockie.
well at least I don't have a 25 year documented history of lying,stealing and cheating people in the hobby.... I'm surprised somebody hasn't popped a cap in your ass yet...
shockie B)

shockwaveriderz wrote:

Don't forget the cost of the printer cartridge, which can be pretty hefty. I bet you'd use up at least one cartridge printing out 358 double-sided pages.

Office BOX: $0.07 X 358 = $25 + ~$10 binding.
shockwaveriderz wrote:

Don't forget the cost of the printer cartridge, which can be pretty hefty. I bet you'd use up at least one cartridge printing out 358 double-sided pages.

Quick Launch wrote:

Yep. On a cost-per-page basis, inkjet printers are about as expensive as they come. Laser printers are significantly cheaper.
I seem to recall when someone ran some calculations years ago (ink hasn't gotten any cheaper since then; if anything, it's MORE epensive), inkjets were in the $0.05 - $0.07 per page range for single-sided copy.
Let's call it a nickle a page. $0.05 * 358 * 2 = $35.80. Add in the $10 for binding and suddenly $50 isn't so out of line.
-Kevin
Kevin Trojanowski wrote:

So there's no conspiracy?
What a surprise.
Chuck
Chuck Rudy wrote:

On a whim, I did a quick search and found a PC World article where they actually did test prints on a printer HP claims is a "low-cost choice for businesses". $0.077 per page. (http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,121989,00.asp )
So, let's recalculate that... $0.077 * 358 * 2 = $55.132. Whaddya know, $50 is a bargain, since it's cheaper even without the binding!
So much for conspiracy theories.
-Kevin
Negative. My HP Laserjet 2200D is almost ready for its second cartridge after having gone through more than two full boxes of paper. Please don't tell me what printing costs. A single ream of 92 brite paper from a box of same is about $2 at Office Max. Print cartridge cost may -- I say, "may" -- be as high as $5 per ream, but it is probably less than that. I can't say for sure because this first cartridge lasted four years.
So, printing that book should cost less than $7 if you do it on your own printer. Okay, the binding will cost you if you take it to Kinko's or some place, but we're still comparing apples to concrete when we talk about $50 to print and bind this book in large quantities. I stand by my assessment.
--
Marty Schrader

Up and Over...
Marty Schrader wrote:

Laser printers are MUCH cheaper to print on than inkjets. Let's use your 2200D as an example; the HP toner cartridge for it lists at $140 for 5,000 pages. That's $0.028 per page. Yes, you can buy remanufactured cartridges at a lower cost, but you don't necessarily get the same yield from each one.
358 double sided pages x 0.028 per page = $20.04, a significant savings over an inkjet. But, add in $10 for binding and a buck or two for paper, and you're at about $32.
-Kevin