book ripoff

So there's no conspiracy?

What a surprise.

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

On a whim, I did a quick search and found a PC World article where they actually did test prints on a printer HP claims is a "low-cost choice for businesses". $0.077 per page.

So, let's recalculate that... $0.077 * 358 * 2 = $55.132. Whaddya know, $50 is a bargain, since it's cheaper even without the binding!

So much for conspiracy theories.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

I'm not a book binder. However, I can compare to several really well written books from Wiley Publishing that cover extremely technical subjects. Each of these books is at least 700 pages long. Most came with CD-ROMs containing the full text of the book and example code, plus various software tools for support.

These books cost $50 or less apiece. And don't forget, the subject matter is up-to-the-second technical material, NOT some ancient white paper that's already been released on the Internet. I stand by my assessment.

Reply to
Marty Schrader

Negative. My HP Laserjet 2200D is almost ready for its second cartridge after having gone through more than two full boxes of paper. Please don't tell me what printing costs. A single ream of 92 brite paper from a box of same is about $2 at Office Max. Print cartridge cost may -- I say, "may" -- be as high as $5 per ream, but it is probably less than that. I can't say for sure because this first cartridge lasted four years.

So, printing that book should cost less than $7 if you do it on your own printer. Okay, the binding will cost you if you take it to Kinko's or some place, but we're still comparing apples to concrete when we talk about $50 to print and bind this book in large quantities. I stand by my assessment.

Reply to
Marty Schrader

Laser printers are MUCH cheaper to print on than inkjets. Let's use your 2200D as an example; the HP toner cartridge for it lists at $140 for 5,000 pages. That's $0.028 per page. Yes, you can buy remanufactured cartridges at a lower cost, but you don't necessarily get the same yield from each one.

358 double sided pages x 0.028 per page = $20.04, a significant savings over an inkjet. But, add in $10 for binding and a buck or two for paper, and you're at about $32.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

I've done my best to stay out of this thread, but...

One of the nice things about printing yourself is that you can print "reduced" if you want (i.e., if it's simply something you want as a reference to carry somewhere). For example, when printing out some of the data I need to take with me, I can print 2, 4, 6, or 9 pages per page. Granted, I need a magnifying glass at some of those sizes , but for others (particularly if the original is from a typewritten work) reducing it to the 4-per-page still results in acceptable output.

A reduced printout provides for a smaller final product (thinner), or it can be cut/bound in the smaller format. You end up with less shelf space, and less money spent per page.

I would add that one of the things not discussed here is that for many things I've had to print, there might be 90% that works great in black-and-white, but some critical illustrations might best be served by a high-resolution color inkjet printer -- so the customization this provides is a plus as well.

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

alright - how much would you charge to print it and bind it and mail it to me?

Reply to
Cliff Sojourner