book ripoff

Kevin Trojanowski wrote:
I've done my best to stay out of this thread, but...
One of the nice things about printing yourself is that you can print
"reduced" if you want (i.e., if it's simply something you want as a reference to carry somewhere). For example, when printing out some of the data I need to take with me, I can print 2, 4, 6, or 9 pages per page. Granted, I need a magnifying glass at some of those sizes <G>, but for others (particularly if the original is from a typewritten work) reducing it to the 4-per-page still results in acceptable output.
A reduced printout provides for a smaller final product (thinner), or it can be cut/bound in the smaller format. You end up with less shelf space, and less money spent per page.
I would add that one of the things not discussed here is that for many things I've had to print, there might be 90% that works great in black-and-white, but some critical illustrations might best be served by a high-resolution color inkjet printer -- so the customization this provides is a plus as well.
David Erbas-White
shockwaveriderz wrote:

it's a deal! I'll send you $5, you send me a nice printed copy in a binder. email me your postal address. thanks, Cliff
Sorry, I'm with Shocky on this one. $50 for printing a book is way too much. Ripoff Deluxe.
--
Marty Schrader

Up and Over...
Marty Schrader wrote:

how much would you charge to print it and bind it then?
It would probably cost $30 in ink if you have to relpace it
Cliff Sojourner wrote:

I'm not a book binder. However, I can compare to several really well written books from Wiley Publishing that cover extremely technical subjects. Each of these books is at least 700 pages long. Most came with CD-ROMs containing the full text of the book and example code, plus various software tools for support.
These books cost $50 or less apiece. And don't forget, the subject matter is up-to-the-second technical material, NOT some ancient white paper that's already been released on the Internet. I stand by my assessment.
--
Marty Schrader

Up and Over...
Marty Schrader wrote:

alright - how much would you charge to print it and bind it and mail it to me?