<devils advocate mode on>

Bingo!

Which is also why public education has devolved into such a wretched state. Nothing is more dangerous to politicians and activists than a truly educated public.

Reply to
RayDunakin

"David" wrote in news:X%EWa.317943$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.southeast.rr.com:

Lautenberg responds: Why make it easier for them?

Schumer responds: Why make it easier for them?

len.

Reply to
Leonard Fehskens

Agreed. Of course, when has reality ever prevented "feel-good" yet "do nothing" legislation?

- Rick "Disappointed" Dickinson

Reply to
Rick Dickinson

I think Reagan was the last Republican politician who actually understood that Republicans were supposed to be different from Democrats.

Reply to
RayDunakin

All I'm going to say is anyone who believes that, should read "A Texan Looks At Lyndon."

Randy

Reply to
Stephen DeArman

Welcome to rmr... oh, I'm sorry, you were already here. Carry on. ; )

Randy

Reply to
Stephen DeArman

California. Although it's really more "alternate" than "reality". ;)

Reply to
RayDunakin

------------

I feel sorry for the other hobby groups if they don't have the debates that we do. Allot of things here might seem OT, but allot of what we talked about does impact our hobby in some way.

That said, JW must have been crushed by the NY/NJ news conference.

HDS

Reply to
HDS

But he will never take responsibility for getting us into a situation where those Senators had the opportunity to make such a scene.

-John

Reply to
John DeMar

Yes, the Supreme Court is supposed to fill that role. However, that does NOT mean that they can "interpret" it to suit their whims.

When the Constitution clearly says one thing, and the Supreme Court says the opposite, they are wrong.

Reply to
RayDunakin

Right or wrong, what the Ssupreme Court says, becomes the law of the land, or at least how the law is interpreted and applied.

I was just wondering if the judge presiding on the NAR/TRA/BATFE case is a Democrat or Republican.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

"John DeMar"

---------

Yea... can't wait to see the spin. It must be a good one, because it's taking pretty long this time around.

HDS

Reply to
HDS

One way or the other, elected is elected... there's no constitutional provision for modifying the powers of the President according to the margin of victory. (Admittedly, such factors as the relative representation of the parties in Congress may have an indirect effect.... Imagine if we had something like the British system, with the president selected by the majority party in Congress...)

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

Now I'm confused. Who wanted this bill to pass? And now it's JW fault for it not passing?

Joel. phx

I'll have to send him some contributions in addition to those two dolts on the East coast.

Reply to
Joel Corwith

That's not how it works. At any given time it means what the Supremes say it means, regardless of what you or Mark think it "clearly" says. The Constitution is just a set of symbols on paper. It has no meaning until interpreted, and the interpreters are (self-referentially defined) the Supremes.

Reply to
john k

"That said, JW must have been crushed by the NY/NJ news conference. HDS"

Why would he be "crushed"? Would he be more "crushed" if the ATF paper hadn't appeared?

" But he will never take responsibility for getting us into a situation where those Senators had the opportunity to make such a scene. -John"

Because he asked Enzi to introduce it in the first place? Because he asked the 2 senators to stop the Hatcheted bill? Because he asked the ATF to present that paper and convince obvious anti-gun nuts that rockets are dangerous? Why is it his responsibility these 2 senators decided to use the ATF paper to push their anti-gun, anti-terrorist, anti-freedom agenda?

Joel. phx

It's your logic, bud.

Reply to
Joel Corwith

The difference, John, is that there have been many times in history when the Supreme Court has done the Politically Correct thing, then later on gone back and reversed themselves with a more (objectively) "common sense" solution. (the "Dred Scott" decision is one that comes quickly to mind). I'm unaware of any case where they have later gone back and reversed the "common sense" decisions, and would be happy to hear if you know of any.

Mark's point (I believe) is that while certain decisions may have been made by the Supreme Court and are thus CURRENTLY the law of the land, more objective viewing of the Constitution will assure that it will come up in the future, with a good chance of being reversed (I'm not trying to put words in Mark's mouth, that's simply how I've interpreted this conversation).

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

Because he insisted on pursuing the legislative approach, although he was warned that it was significantly more risky than the judicial course currently being folllowed.

But, no, Mr. Wickman knows best, what do some little podunk "hobby organizations" know? :|

And, as one RMR poster put it (paraphrasing) "'cause he's the guy that's brought us this far". ;)

Jeff Vincent - Rocket Cynic(Tm) (comes from reading RMR for 9+ years)

Reply to
Jeff Vincent

I want to chime in on a historically important observation.

NAR/TRA was being internal and secretive about the litigation strategies and why they were not following a legislative approach and were already violating federal law (55.141-a-8) showing bad judgement and proffering NFPA-1122, 1127, 1125 showing horrific bad judgement and were trading amateur rocketry at the federal alter in favor of traditional wimpy model rocketry.

THE ONLY REPLY BY AMATEUR ROCKETRY OF REASON WAS LEGISLATION>

NEVER forget that realistic fact.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

So he's to blame for the 2 senators having the press conference, the ATF pushing their paper to stop the hatcheted exemption, the 2 other senators for killing the Enzi bill, just because he asked Enzi to introduce legislation that would benefit rocketry, and not just APCP fliers? Do I understand you correctly?

Joel. phx

When do you {cynic} expect the judge will make a ruling?

They're watching out for their interest, he shouldn't watch out for his? If I had a pro-rocketry bud in congress, I'd be watching out for mine.

Reply to
Joel Corwith