E-Match Question

wrote:

E matches are not going to have corroded leads. How many ematches can you buy @ $2 vs crashing a $1000 rocket? You be the judge. Oh and if you ever see me at RSO and I find out you have bulbs, you will have a problem. Someone else might let them slide - that's their prerogative.
Phil
On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 20:42:09 -0500, the notorious t-e-d

They'll work fine on the ground. Also you won't launch unless your altimiter tells you you have good continuity. Where I think people have problems is with G force on take off, charges also contribute to the stress in the filament, the main charge gets a jolt when the drouge deploys and when the charge for the drouge blows.
I'm not saying they always fail but they fail to often for my taste.
Phil

Phil Isn't there a problem with some of the newer bulbs because they have a shunt that keeps all other light burning when one goes out in the string? Thought I read this somewhere when I was thinking of using them. Made me nervous.
--
William Richardson ENC USNR Ret.
TRA 8703 L2

Damn - that's enough to make me more nervous. THat shunt would make an open filament appear to the altimiter as though it were good.
Come on you guys - $20-$500 for propellant. At least a similar amount for casing. $100-$200 per altimiter. $100 and up for the rocket. Spend $2 on a friggin ematch!!
Phil
Phil Stein wrote:

Aaaahhh Phil,
You're 125% correct here. Last I heard, Performance Hobbies still sells M-teks and one can go to Quickburst.net and get Cosmos ematches for a $1.00 apiece. I dorked a MAD unit on a ground test with a firefox ematch kit. Don't know what I did wrong but it ain't worth the trouble. Just buy commercial.
Kurt
Kurt wrote:

Of course he's right!
I only mentioned alternatives as all I've been hearing is that nowadays a LEUP is required to purchase ematches(but not ignitors). Now I'm starting to wonder if that is true.
Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75
tdstr wrote:

Ted,
Last I heard those places were selling them and if one is nervous, stockpile some. I was playing with the firefox alternative too but didn't have any luck. These igniters look promising as mentioned by Chuck Neff up in one of the other replies.
http://www.fireworks.com/phantom_mall/photo.asp?pid 2
One could just take a little pyrogen and dip them if they desire for a little extra insurance to light off the BP charge.
I think a real major issue is finding a low current match one could reliably count on to light a motor off of a staging timer. M-tek is supposed to be coming out with one but I don't know what will be required to purchase those.
Kurt
THere seems to be a lot of inconsistencey between what dealers will or won't sell you without a LEUP. If one won't sell you ematches, try some other ones or share with a friend.
Phil

tdstr wrote:

Flashbulbs are still readily available at http://www.flashbulbs.com . Bill Cress is a very friendly, easy to work with kind of guy.
Darrell D. Mobley wrote:

Nice seein' ya again Darrell!
Actually I just got lucky and found a bunch at a local kick butt surplus store. Axman = mecca for rocket and robot stuff. Even picked up some nice 4" crdbrd tubes.
http://ax-man.com /
Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75
the notorious t-e-d wrote:

Nice to BE back. ;-)

Surplus stores are the bomb. Whoops! Did I just say that? Run! It's the ATF!
What size flashbulbs do you typically use? It's been years since I've used any, and I don't remember the size designations (last time I used them was in the early seventies along with some Centuri Sure-Shot igniters -- this was my cluster ignition method of preference...)
David Erbas-White
Darrell D. Mobley wrote:

David Erbas-White wrote:

I preferred Flashcubes (NOT Magicubes, they have their own charging mechanism) but many people, myself included, used the bulbs bearing the AG-1 designation. Both types have stiff wire leads rather than other flashbulbs that have twist-in connectors.
There is an very detailed article on them at:
http://www.rocketryplanet.com/content/view/204/38 /
Darrell
Darrell D. Mobley wrote:

Excellent, thank you!
David Erbas-White
David Erbas-White wrote:

Glad to help. If anyone has any similar articles or documentation of hobby rocketry techiques or tips, I would be happy to publish them for the community.
Once I run out of Oxrals, I was going to try some of Quickburst's Cosmos matches. Lookee here http://www.quickburst.net/ematch.htm
Joe Michel

Joe- I've used most all of Quickburst's offerings, from igniters to ematches. Thusfar I've nothing but praise. The quality and the service is first-rate. David even accepts Paypal.
Kevin
Chuck Neff wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Little bit of self promotion here but take a look at Newtons3rdrocketry.com and select products. We have a ejection solution based on 48 gauge Nichrome bridge wire on a PCB substrate. Much like an ematch without the pyrogen. Come in a prepackaged ecan with either a 2 or 5 gram capacity. Very robust and the small ones are ~ $1.00

Have these been tested using a PerfectFlite MAWD set up for dual deployment?