Electronics and Battery Brands

I once thought of using flexible solar panels. I stopped short of ordering them because there was no reason.

With a 9V rated at 600mAh you should get over 10hours run time for your altimeter. Of course since a 9V would not fit my Estes Commanch I simply used a 20mAh NiCd cell and even that should give more than an hour.

Of course if your powering a video TX or other such electronics the umbilical is great.

Reply to
Robert DeHate

Apart from the hack value, natch.

An RDAS takes 80mA average and I tend to size things for no more than three hours on-pad faffing. After this I'm not happy to trust the battery will have enough charge for the RDAS to work correctly. Of couse, a G-Wiz or something similar will sit there all day waiting for you to lob it.

I've looked into the smaller nicad cells you can get and I think there's probably good benefits to get from using the ones for cordless phones.

Multiple video downlinks, cameras, camera timers, GPS receivers, telemetry downlink etc. Lots of toys ;)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Eilbeck

"natch" copycat :)

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Capacity doesn't matter much in an altimeter (well, within reason of course). Peak current does. For peak current, Ni-Cad beats all other types hands down. 3.5A peak for several seconds. Plus, they're re-usable!

Reply to
David

They charge *actual cost*, whatever UPS charges.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Binford

True. I was just trying to help with his Duracell vs Eveready question.

Unfortunately, in my quest for good video TX batteries, the Ni-Cad would only give me a couple of minutes, so I've stuck with Eveready Alkalines so far. I might try some Lithium 9v batteries when I switch over to a different plane that handles high capacity flight packs for long flights. Right now, I'm just playing around with the camera velcroed to my old Zagi. :)

Reply to
Tim

Thanks, Tom. I might dig around the catalog and find some more good stuff to make ordering worth while.

Reply to
Tim

Eeegad, There is modern technology that solves that problem. Look to systems that dont use tubes.

RDH8

Reply to
RDH8

I like propellent - especially on the inside of some thin paper tubes.

-- Eric Benner TRA # 8975 L2 NAR # 79398

Reply to
Eric Benner

I like aman who gets right to the point.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Your L3 rocket could have lifted the chassis from a 1932 Philco.

Tubes are very nice. Nothing like a 500V Vpp buzzing away in the payload section. Plus there's the added scale affect with those umbilicals connected to the generator at the pad. Go 'retro'.

-John

Reply to
John DeMar

Reply to
Robert DeHate

Duracell is what you want to use in a rocket. I saw a rocket crash a couple of years ago and the problem was traced to the battery we used. After that event I collected 8 batteries and opened them. The duracell was the only battery that had all the internal connections between the elements spotwelded. The other brands needed the casing of the battery to hold the parts together and make the battery work. Take away the casing and you end up with 6 tiny 1.5v batteries. The duracell works without the casing because everything is welded together.

Stephen Corban schreef in berichtnieuws snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

Reply to
roland lemmers