enough talk, what now?

Aloha, We have all talked about Aerotech and their situation till blue in the face. My question is simply this....WHAT DO WE DO FOR MOTORS NOW? I have a few Ceaseroni (spelling?) cases. Can they manufacture enough to pick up the slack? Jerry can make a wizard motor, but his minimum order is too large to be reasonable. Where do we turn for motors?

Larry

Reply to
AkaZilla

Keep buying AT motors. AT is still in production and still shipping motors! Our local vendor has gobs of AT motors available.

Whatever the outcome of this bankruptcy, most likely either Gary or a new owner will continue the business, so I don't think there's too much call to worry about the long term prospects either.

Reply to
RayDunakin

Learned a few lessons recently, many from the kind people on this page. Go though your rocketry club and mass order. Check the websites. Red Arrow, Discount Rocketry and Commonwealth.net normally have some. From other's advice I call before I order, to make sure they're in stock, regardless of what the web page says. From these two sources I have 10 motors and another 10 coming in two weeks. (Hoarding? Never....). Oh, and keep on bugging your local shops. I make it a habit every time I go. I have to hope that Adam Smith's invisible hand still works.

Jeff

"Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity"

Reply to
Jeff Inman

Aloha, Placing an advance paid order with Aerotech is not a guaranty of getting motors. My friend here in town is/was an Aerotech dealer. He placed an order with them and pre-paid for this order. When 2 years (yes, thats what I said, 2 freaking years) had passed and he still had no motors, he said to hell with it and got a refund. As far as Jerry having certified motors goes...I don't bloody care if they are certified or not. I want motors to burn. If they are not dependable, I will post such on the newsgroup. I have my own land, and an umbrella insurance policy. Certification is nice, but by no means a "must have". If the governing bodies of rocketry are making it hard for motor makers to get into the sport in order to keep the market open for the reemergence of Aerotech, they are doing the sport, and the flyers a disservice. All we want is motors. We don't really care who they came from.

Larry

Reply to
AkaZilla

Exactly.

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

Aerotech is supplying more motors now than they have at any point since the fire. If you can't find them, you aren't looking in the right places.

Reply to
David

That's not fair. Most people use LOCAL distribution access to lower out of pocket costs and more nearly get them right when they need them.

Only a small minority (under 5%) of sales are by internet or mail order.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Place an order :)

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I didn't realize that. I have no local dealers. I've bought dozens of AT high-power motors over the past year, and have found everything I need.

Reply to
David

This should be in the FAQ.

Reply to
By-Tor

Obviously this must have been an order that was placed at or near the time of the fire.

You're ignoring all the motors from other manufacturers that have been certified since the fire.

Reply to
RayDunakin

Jerry wrote:

Reply to
RayDunakin

I HAD certified motors!

They were decertified and NOT for lack of paperwork or failures or anything, and whatever their excuse was, I never even heard it happened till MONTHS later. No excuse or justification for that. I STILL have not been notified of the decert by TRA at my business address where they sent the certified user lists.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

So make your own at a tenth of the cost.

Reply to
Just do it

Don't know about anyone else but I don't want to give him any money.

Reply to
Kurt Kesler

What, are you chicken? (No knobs on Jerry's propellant... it makes Gary's stuff, that has to be shipped as 'explosives', look watered down by comparison...)

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

Is Jerry selling motors?

Reply to
Shot Locker

I got one from him on an "experimental test" basis - actually I only paid him for propellant cost; we flew it in his casing - this was down at an MTA amateur launch a couple of years ago.

As for the present tense plural of your question, e-mail him and ask directly - do you actually want some, or are you playing some silly game with the thought of putting him on the spot somehow?

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

So..., Your answer is never?

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

I'll be first in line to buy Jerry motors from a dealer that carrys them at a launch where I can legally fly them.

Bob Kaplow