Fixing Aerotech Fins

Recent comments about Aerotech rockets with broken fins reminded me that I have one sitting in the repairs pile. Has anyone come up with a good solvent/glue or other way to fix broken Aerotech fins without grinding them out and replacing?

Bob Ellis

Reply to
Bob n Robin

I used Devcon Plastic Welder in combination with small metal pins made from paper clips. Use the pins as dowels. Mark your alignment, drill weensy holes, test fit, slather on the Plastic Welder, and stick it all together. Work fast tho', as the Plastic Welder will set up in a hurry.

It's worked very well on 2 of the 4 fins on my AT Strongarm. Not pretty, mind, but pretty sturdy.

Tod "Look Jerry! Content!" Hilty

Reply to
hiltyt

sandwich between 2 pieces of thin G10 skins with epoxy ......

shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

:)

I was wondering if that was the suggestion I posted to the fin repair thread :)

Good job BTW.I am saving your version.

This should be in the FAQ.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I had about a third of a HV ARCAS fin break off. I took the trusty ol' Dremel and ground down the surface on both sides of the fin around the break to allow laying in a layer of non-woven Kevlar tissue (available from Shadow Composites). I saturated the material with epoxy and did the best to keep the surface flush with the rest of the fin. Once cured, filled in any irregularities, sanded and painted. Have been flying it for 2 years since.

Tom Henderson

Reply to
Thomas R. Henderson