GOT MAGAZINE?

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id 24214

Gee, no comments.
-Fred Shecter NAR 20117 http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsassZshreadvector
"shreadvector" wrote:

Then wrote:

Yeah, I expected more, too. But I guess the ID thread is sucking up everyone's attention.
I read the article. My first thought was that this could lead to tightening of enforcement of the explosives laws resulting in non-explosive propellants getting mroe scrutiny or worse. And the sad irony is that if the BATFEces would worry about the real explosives and forget about us, then maybe this wouldn't have happened, eh?
That said, I caught a snippet on the radio this morning but didn't get the details...did they recover the stolen stuff?
Doug

My first thought - after reading about the sheets of explosives - Keep those cards and letters coming, folks!
Doug Sams wrote:

All the explosives have been recovered, and four bozos arrested. One other is still on the run, but I expect that he won't last long. Amazing what a $50,000 reward offer can do.
Mark E. Hamilton NAR #48641-SR ARSA #418
Doug Sams wrote:

All the explosives have been recovered, and four bozos arrested. One other is still on the run, but I expect that he won't last long. Amazing what a $50,000 reward offer can do.
Mark E. Hamilton NAR #48641-SR ARSA #418
shreadvector wrote:

OK, here's one:
"No guards and no security cameras."
Bright.
Darwin Award for Mr. Cherry, perhaps?
Mayhaps the thieves will build a "Cherry" bomb.

GAAAAA! DON'T USE THAT WORD!!!!
<vbg>
tah
--
Tod A. Hilty
Hilty Information Systems
snipped-for-privacy@weinerboy.org wrote:

What? You don't like the word, perhaps?
Perhaps perhaps perhaps!
Gus wrote:

The federal explosives laws pretty much require that storage be located in remote locations. They also only require weekly inspections. The locks are supposed to keep the site secure. The existing federal regulations probably eliminate about 99% of thefts. As anyone can tell you, there is a law of diminishing returns on just about anything. Controlling that last 1% will cost far more than controlling the first 99%.
To get an idea of the extreme other end of the spectrum, take a look at the newly enacted (without any opportunity for comment) regulations in Pennsylvania. (Look at the news items at http://www.ime.org ) These new regulations will result in enormous costs to the industry with little impact on thefts.
--
David W. Schultz
http://home.earthlink.net/~david.schultz /

Better than that, the BATFE sells their mailing list to junk mailers. I get a handful of junk mail from my LEUP every year. Most of it is either fireworks or gun catalogs. But I once got a "job offer" to be a security guard for a local armored car company, and around Y2K got several survivalist catalogs.
So if any one actually wants to steal explosives, all they have to do is buy the mailing list, and they know exactly where to go to steal all the explosives they need. All thanks to our own inept government over-regulation.

There is nothing in the regs that require either. And my LEUP requires that I store my "regulated" materials in a LESS secure manner than the way I store my Questes type motors.
Bob Kaplow wrote:

Yes, but there's a difference between what the law requires and what is just "good practice".
I think I'd like to at least have security cameras.
They don't cost a whole lot, either.
Hell, even the local junk yard has security cams.
The bit about ATFE selling mailing lists is troublesome, to put it mildly.
Gus wrote:

Yes, if it were proven to be true it would be even more troublesome. All we have now though is the supposition from one poster that it has occured. Nobody else has reported the same type of unsolicited mail. That, and the poster is very outspoken about his negative feelings toward the government.
I'm not saying it isn't true. I guess it could be. But I'm not saying it's true, or even probably so, based upon the postings of one anti-government crusader. We've seen no proof or even credible evidence to back the claims.
steve

Since I moved to our "new" house in 1990, I've coded my name and address every time I give it to anyone. There's a unique piece of information in every one, so I can tell when someone sells my name and address. I tell companies that I deal with to NOT do so, and stop doing business with them when they violate my privacy.
A few years later, I was able to help a magazine prove that a competitor had stolen their mailing list.
My ATF application contained one of those unique encodings. It's on my LEUP. And it's on several of those catalogs I mentioned. So it's not a guess, it's a FACT that names and addresses collected from LEUP holders are sold to mass mailers. And it's still going on in the post-911 era.
I thought this was answered before and someone pointed out that they were not "sold", but part of the public record that anyone can go and search, get, use. Just like property records when you own a house.
"Bob Kaplow" <kaplow snipped-for-privacy@encompasserve.org.mars> wrote in message
kaplow snipped-for-privacy@encompasserve.org.mars (Bob Kaplow) wrote:

So are you going to stop doing business with the ATF?

As soon as we wi the lawsuit...
kaplow snipped-for-privacy@encompasserve.org.mars (Bob Kaplow) wrote:

It's stupid to wait. Look at how AT and Magnum suffered for their illegal designation of exempt goods as "restricted access".
Look further how the HPR market "population" has shrunk 90-95%.
And AT thinks some hobby industry co-op ads will solve this INTERNAL problem?
The LAW is on our side NOW. Live life NOW.
Gees.
Jerry Irvine wrote:

jerry, you must be very lonely as a felon, who cannot legally possess HPR motors and propellant.
Maybe you should take up another hobby, say, model airplanes or something.