level 1/2 certification what kit to get ?

But no I65?????

:)

Ted Novak TRA#5512

Reply to
the notorious t-e-d

If you're looking for one kit that can handle both L1 and L2 certs, use the PML Endeavor. It will fly on motors as small as the AT H242T-S, and can handle the power of a J350 or J570. However, the stock motor mount isn't large enough to hold a Hypertek. You could build it with a 54 mm mount and use adapters for the 38 mm stuff. Just my 2 cents...

Reply to
James L. Marino

What are the dimensions of your38mm motor tubing (ID/OD) as well as your

2.6" and 3.9" tubing?

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I agree that the Small Endeavor is great. All you need to do to use the piston in cold weather is make sure it's not tight. If it is tight, sand it down some so it isn't. You will not have problems when it warms up - even after you've sanded the piston.

Also, as my PML rockets have aged, the piston strap and piston have taken a beating. What I do now is glue a shock cord protector on when I build the rocket & I fiberglass the inside of the piston.

I've also used similar piston designs on scratch built rockets.

You might be able to use an AARAM-4 for both L1 & L2.

Phil Stein

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 20:52:19 -0500, Chuck Rudy wrote: snip

Phil Stein

Reply to
Phil Stein

Now the question makes a bit more sense.......if you are going H for L1 and I for L2 with a hybrid.......the Binder Designs Jaguar.

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

Reply to
Al Gloer

You're so picky about those little details, Iz... 8-}

Warlok is indeed pricey, because of the nosecone, and more importantly, the mold behind it. But it's just plain cool.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

Reply to
MIKE

Replacing the fins with G10 would allow all these motors.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Binford

G10 fins will allow up to a J415. No other mods necessary.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Binford

G10 TTW fins slid and epoxied into "tracks" built on top of G10 centering rings (and onto the MMT), holes in the fins in the area between the body and MMT, foam the cavity, glass the rocket with 2 layers of 6 oz an a final of 2 oz.

anything else needed? and how big a motor could I fly in her? a full K maybe?

- iz

Tom B>

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

I got my level 1 on the PML D-Region Tomahawk on an H242S. That gives about a 1500' flight which is OK for modest sized fields. On an I211, the Tomahawk will hit almost 5000' which is nearly out of sight and requires a rather large field for recovery.

For my level 2, I flew a PML Black Brant X on a J350M. I think the altitude was 3000' to 4000' (check the PML web site for the expected altitudes for various rocket/engine configurations. One nice thing about the BBX is that on an I357S it will turn in a beautiful flight to about 1000' which allows you to fly it in a relatively small field.

All the PML kits use a piston ejection system and you have to keep the piston and the inside of the airframe clean or it can jam. There are also issues with the piston sticking in the plastic (Quantum Tube) airframes in cold weather because of different coefficients of expansion for the plastic and phenolic materials. You just have to let the rocket come to the temperature of the environment and then check that the piston slides freely. If not, use sandpaper on the piston to get a smooth sliding fit. I've never had a piston jam and the Tomahawk alone has at least 30 flights on it.

Larry Hard> Hi I'm new to this hobby as I mentioned in my previous post (new to > group)

Reply to
Larry W. Hardin

Look here (left side of main box):

Regards, Nick

Reply to
EMRR

I am also at the L1 cert. stage. The best advice I that I am getting is to keep it simple and use a 4" rocket with a small H to keep it visible and in our field. The suggestion was to use a rocket/motor combo to between 1000' min. to 2000' max. altitude.

Remember the goal: Certification. Save the fun stuff for latter.

LOC EZi65, LOC IV , LOC Expediter and PML like rockets on a H128 , H180 or a H123.

These allow flights (low level) tests on a G80 first.

I've seen a lot of L2 flights using the Warlock recently. Really fun flights to about 1000'

Ken

Reply to
Kenneth Jarosch

If we can politely disagree on technical grounds...

I dislike short fat stubby rockets, especially for certification. They tend to wiggle too much, resulting in flight path deviations. The IROC suffers from this same problem. And low thrust motors, like the BlackJacks, just make this problem worse.

Even the Fat Boy shows it sometimes.

Further, the Warloc is too big to test fly on a G motor under notification. Being able to fly your L1 rocket on a G, even a G80, without a waiver, at least lets you check things out before the big event.

My L1 cert advice is a 4" rocket flown on an H128-SW. If the H128-SW isn't the right motor for your L1 rocket, you've got the wrong L1 rocket!

Just my $0.02...

Bob Kaplow

Along with the advice I've been given a general understanding of rocket length to dia. ratio.

At minimum a 10::1 Sumo, IRoc etc. , with a better choice of 12 or 16 ::

  1. Thus a 4" rocket with a length of 48" to 64". The fore mentioned LOC kits are 48" to about 60-62" weighing around 35 - 40 oz. Fly to around
1200 - 1500 ft. on a H128-sw. Test out on a G80.

Ken

Reply to
Kenneth Jarosch

makes good sense

- iz

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

But what if I want to cert with a giant food container?

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

Bob Not much to disagree with you here on, EXCEPT.........:-)! The bigger, short-fat (Mini Magg, Warloc and 7 other 7.5 inch, 30 inch long tube) rockets that I fly, NEVER wobble:-)!!! Serously, I have found that these rockets are FAR less sensitive to CP/CG considerations than long rockets. My "stock" Warloc flys with less than 1/10th of a caliber of stability and in the 27 flights it has seen, it has never been anything but dead straight! I would say though, that I wouldn't try many Black Jack motors in it, unless it was a calm day. The secret to these rockets is to get them moving fast enough for the fins to work, BEFORE the rocket leaves the rod/rail. My Mini Mag flys like a bullet on an I-357! With an H-97....... it is some what less bullet like:-). And I would easily agree that a small rocket like a Loc IV is a better practice rocket and a great rocket for G's and H's.....as well as a great Level 1 rocket. Now a Loc IV as a Level 2 rocket is a whole nother story:-)! Mike asked for a good rocket for both his Level 1 and 2 certs. Personally, unless one is planning on certifying Level 1 on and I and Level 2 on a J, IMHO there are NO good rockets to do both with. Any rocket that will fly reasonably on a H will go REAL high with a J. I also am not a fan of needing dual deployment for a Level 1 or 2 cert. I know that it is done but.....my opinion is KISS. Finally, I don't know what your problem with the Fat Boys are........Mine fly VERY straught on H-128's:-)!

Lloyd Wood BRS Secretary LDRS LD/RSO Level lll

Reply to
Actionxprs

LOC Bruiser. I435 for L1 and J350 for L2. Bada bing!

Reply to
Kurt Kesler